The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased two pots of Giant Hairgrass for my 29 gallon aquarium about a month ago. The store I got them from assured me that they were low-light plants and would grow fine for me and I trusted him even though I had read on this forum that they were medium light plants. I wanted something tall that could fill in the back of my tank to hide some of the clutter back there. It has been almost a month now with them in my tank and I have not seen any noticeable growth from these plants at all. I am hoping that someone with Giant Hairgrass in their tank could give me some suggestions on how to encourage these plants to grow and spread.

My tank is kept at 75 degree F an has a PH of 7.5 with about 20-40 ppm Nitrates. The only fertilization that I use is DIY root tabs and the fish, although I recently started using SeaChem Excel at 2.5mL every other day. I had been using the Aqueon modular LED for light but upgraded last Friday to the Finnex Planted+ LED (mostly because of the growth issues I am having with the Giant Harigrass along with the Dwarf variety I have that is not carpeting either).

Any ideas on what might be wrong? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have one in a 55 gallon tank.
It's up to 18" tall under 2 t5's, 2 watts per gallon.
It is growing slow but last time i moved it there were at least 7 runners on it.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
When I have a native hair grass in my tank it does better if I push individual beads of Osmocote+ into the sub with my tweezers under it.
I add more about every three months. I use one bead about every 2".

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, it sounds like I might need more nutrients in the soil. I did use DIY Osmocote gel tabs, but I spaced them out pretty far because I was afraid of overdoing it and burning some plants. I think I should pull them up at next water change, reduce the groupings to maybe three or four grass strands and at the same time add some more Osmocote to the substrate. Give them space to grow and boost the food source.

Its too late for me to add clay to the substrate because I have so much in my tank already and nowhere to move anything to (no other tanks).

Does anyone know if my light source is enough? I haven't seen any PAR ratings for the Planted+ light but I know it is a big step up from what I had before so I think it should help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did my water change today and pulled up the hairgrass. I cleaned it up (some diatom algae had collected on some strands), trimmed up the dieing strands and separated the clumps into smaller sections to replant. To my surprise it looked like there was two small sprouting runners that had grown from a couple of the clumps. I guess it was growing after all - just really really slowly. I added more DIY root tabs to fuel theses suckers and replanted in smaller groups.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Nearly took over my tank. Had a strand from another plant someone shipped to me, that one strand with like 3 blades began to carpet. Was a 12long with a finnex ray2, high as hell par but it grew like a weed.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is kind of what I have been finding - extreme lighting is what makes this plant grow. I guess I will see what happens with my new light and hopefully it is enough to push it's growth. I don't want to increase the intensity of light any more and then need to introduce CO2.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been using the Planted+ light for the last month and a half or so and decided to update this post with the results.

Immediately after switching from the low light LED to the Finnex light there was a lot of algae growth until I shortened the light cycle and added some shrimp/snails. The Giant Hairgrass was getting covered in algae and turning brown in places, but after a couple weeks the critters cleaned them off and I trimmed the dead strands off the base. The grass still hasn't really taken off though. There are a few new shoots coming off, but it certainly is slow growing.

I am considering switching to another plant for a background. It is either that or go all-in with the Giant Hairgrass and buy more to fill in the areas I want becasue at this rate of growth it won't fill in for another year!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts