The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rescaping all of my aquriums and have decided it's time to move my Gourami from my Blood Parrots tank he was gaining some size in to his own 180 gallon aquarium.(48x36x24)
I'll be picking up some tankmates for this tank as well, I've decided I'll be getting a black shark pretty soon and I may pick up a few other fish down the line but I kinda wanted to stick with an Asian theme stock on this tank maybe a Fire Eel or something else black would be cool with my gourami being the large white center piece in this tank but I'm not limiting myself to just black fish I'm not sure what to do and I'm kinda picky about what goes in with this gourami but shoot me any ideas you have maybe they could help?

Anyways I'm wanting to know if I can add plants to this aquarium as well, I know they would do fine with the shark as well as the eel if I take that route or anything else I'd be getting after all this planting but Giant Gouramis eat plant life in the wild and I'm wondering how to work around this is their any plants that have a nasty taste he would avoid or maybe a way to arrange the tank?

I was almost wanting to do two separate gardens to fit around the driftwood I've picked up for this tank while leaving a decent sized opening or trail for the fish to swim around without plants this would be nice after the black shark gets some size on him but I feel like this would help more with cichlids allowing them to dig some and get to the bottom of the tank while leaving a clearing more then with a Gourami who wishes to eat the plants instead of just doing some home design. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I recently saw a giant gourami at a non chain petstore.. those fish get monstrously huge! But the one I saw was adorably puppy like in its want for attention (poor thing must have been bored). It had a 360g+ tank that was over 6 feet long and it still looked too big for the tank!

I've not kept or researched to keep the giant gourami species but when I kept my dwarf gourami I put blanched spinach, lettuce, or zuchini in the tank each night (for my pleco but the dwarf ate it too), he left the vegetation alone in the tank. I now have goldfish in a planted tank and keep cucumber in at all times (growing organic lettuce to augment that in a few months), as well as give them repashy soilent green gel food-having a lot of tastier vegetable matter in their diet they are not eating the plants in the tank. Soo perhaps the same would apply for you? I'd start by getting the gourami use to veggies and figure out what it likes (every fish is different) then add tougher plants first like anubias and java fern before more delicate plants like lilies or stems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah this tank is really only a stepping stone on my way to something like a 500 gallon aquarium for him as well as the shark and other tankmates I pick up. However he's only 6-7 inches now so that's plenty of room and yeah these guys can hit 2 ft no problem so I guess if he wants to eat plants their will be no stopping him I was just thing some Java ferns because if he starts tearing them up I can always move them over to my low end brackish tank. But if they do well I was wanting to do some big swords in this tank for sure its supper wide so it might be cool to get the swords that really fan out in this setup but I'm not sure what their called over the more vertical growing sub species

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Do you remember the story of Gary the giant gourami?

Staff at the Sea Life London Aquarium have helped a chocoholic Giant gourami (Osphronemus goramy) give up its addiction in favour of a more healthy diet.

Gary, the 4.0-kg, 40-cm fish, had been fed a steady diet of Kit Kat bars by its previous owners and would eat nothing else but the chocolate-covered wafer bars.

Staff at the aquarium, who inherited the fish, were initially puzzled as to why the fish refused to eat, until they learned of its sweet tooth.

Aquarium staff then stuffed crushed Kit Kat pieces inside grapes and slices of banana, feeding these to Gary to wean the fish off its unhealthy diet.....
Giant gourami was addicted to chocolate | News | Practical Fishkeeping

·
Registered
226 Posts
But if they do well I was wanting to do some big swords in this tank for sure its supper wide so it might be cool to get the swords that really fan out in this setup but I'm not sure what their called over the more vertical growing sub species
From what I understand, swords don't taste very good to most fish. I've been very successful with swords and fish that eat plants. The root systems also make them pretty resistant to tugging. Swords would probably be one of the first plants I would attempt.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had a pleco exclusively destroy swords.
Yes, I've heard that plecos are often the exception to that rule. I haven't had any problems with plecos and swords, but I've only kept BN.

I have kept swords with both t. labiosa and t. fasciata, and they left them alone, while devouring most of my floaters.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Do you remember the story of Gary the giant gourami?
Staff at the Sea Life London Aquarium have helped a chocoholic Giant gourami (Osphronemus goramy) give up its addiction in favour of a more healthy diet.

Gary, the 4.0-kg, 40-cm fish, had been fed a steady diet of Kit Kat bars by its previous owners and would eat nothing else but the chocolate-covered wafer bars.

Staff at the aquarium, who inherited the fish, were initially puzzled as to why the fish refused to eat, until they learned of its sweet tooth.

Aquarium staff then stuffed crushed Kit Kat pieces inside grapes and slices of banana, feeding these to Gary to wean the fish off its unhealthy diet.....
Giant gourami was addicted to chocolate | News | Practical Fishkeeping
The giant gourami I mentioned earlier is called Blueberry because according to store staff that's the only thing it eats....

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love gourami personalities. I would love to have a giant gourami, but it's going to be a long time, if ever, before I get the room for a tank big enough.

I would love to see pictures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry my pictures are so crappy I just broke the glass on the lens of my phones camera and dust got under It. here is the tank he's going into soon and here he is as well. the tank is a 180 I'm working on painting the back black of cleaning up the glass and setting up the sump etc. My gourami (unnamed) is just over 6 inches now, also the water isn't greenish yellow in person the light that's on the tank just has a crappy Walmart fluorescent bulb I threw in it.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts