The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 55 gallon fish tank with 2 red eared sliders . These turtles are mean and will attack almost anything that goes in there . Today I am getting enough money to buy a giant gourami . He will be bigger then the turtles but I would still like to double check to see if he will be safe .

·
Registered
567 Posts
They'll probably eat him. I used to have red eared sliders and they were mean. They bit my fingers when I tried to pick them up.

Those must be small turtles if the gourami is already bigger than them. Aren't the red-eared sliders illegal under like 3 inches or so?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, the turtles are pretty big. The fish is just... like way huge. Thanks for the advice, guys, I'll think of something.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also as it turns out , I wound up getting a 10 inch oscar . And of course they nipped at his fins so now he has to live along with my smaller oscars .

·
Registered
544 Posts
What kind of filter is going to be enough for 2 large RES and a huge giant gourami in a 55 gal tank? Turtles are amazingly dirty animals. I got 4 babies (adopted them from someone who didn´t want them anymore) and I have to totally change their water every other day. I can´t wait to start re-homing them to appropriate owners, 4 is just too much (and their just a little over 2-3 inches!)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Stick with the turtles, its hard enough with two adult turtles in a 55 to maintain decent water quality. You probably would've had more success with smaller fish. Giant gouramis and Oscars are easy nipping targets and contribute too much waste.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts