The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Giant Duckweed for sale. I got it from Spypet a month or two ago and its been doing great and helped get rid of my algae:hihi: . Now I had a full 55g tank top full of it so I have a BIT to part with.

Right now I have 4 Quart sized baggies half full of the stuff. Might be able to get one more so far, and more in the later weeks.

I'm asking $6 per bag. Free USPS priority shipping with them as well. So its basically a RAOK if you buy one, if you want two I make a little money:hihi:

No Pictures at the moment... Its green and healthy, and there are plenty of pictures around. But if you REALLY need one Let me know...

So PM me.:hihi: and post here

Thanks!

-Andrew

Just so you know there may be a Little regular duckweed mixed it. Its like 99% giant but there is a little regular still mixed in my tanks. It also might contain a little bit of moss or cherry shrimp young, or snails that are plant safe. So be warned, if these aren't treated they may bring in some guests.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
here's a picture showing the size difference between GIANT and regular duckweed. the additional benefit of GIANT is
that it grows in long chains, making moving and removing it from your tank a lot easier. good luck with your sale FN ;)

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put me down for a bag. :) PM sent.
You've got a pm.

I read the caption, then your post and you are still wrong. You are selling a salvinia species which is not the plant with the common name of duckweed (lemna).

---

Remember the guy selling "fancy shrimp" for a small fortune and then shipping grass shrimp?
The salvinia species is called Giant Duckweed to my knowledge. No its not like dw gone giant but from what I know thats what Salvinia is called... Sorry if I messed up..

I can't remember that... but doesn't surprise me. I'm not out to scam anyone though:icon_lol: :icon_wink

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So is there also lemna major?

This is the one with the spikes on the leaves... maybe its just a common name thing I screwed up... I thought Salvania was refered to as giant DW...

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The salvinia species is called Giant Duckweed to my knowledge. No its not like dw gone giant but from what I know thats what Salvinia is called... Sorry if I messed up..

I can't remember that... but doesn't surprise me. I'm not out to scam anyone though:icon_lol: :icon_wink
-Andrew
You posted a picture which allows the buyer to be educated so definitely not a scam. :) However thanks to the vagueness of common names, Giant Duckweed would be Spirodela polyrhiza. (Thanks Google...)

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/database/floating_plants/giant_duckweed.htm

BTW, Salvinia in my tanks out compete normal duckweed!

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting difference here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_salvinia
Keep that rolling and I'll hit you up later. Thanks for the offer.
You've got me a bit scared...

But i think mine isn't that type I'm going to take a better look today and check the hairs on the leaves.

IF IT is.. what should I do? TONS of people have this plant...

-Andrew

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
You've got me a bit scared...

But i think mine isn't that type I'm going to take a better look today and check the hairs on the leaves.

IF IT is.. what should I do? TONS of people have this plant...

-Andrew
I agree you have the normal Salvinia not the giant...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.