The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost half a year ago, I threw my two amano shrimp into my 29 gallon tank with angelfish, until I realized a bit later that the angelfish (being the cichlids they are) would probably eat them. I couldn't find them, so I assumed they were eaten already.

I honestly had no more thoughts about them, until today. When all of a sudden, out of my huge mass of java moss popped out a shrimp antenna. And out followed this huge amano shrimp. It has to be at least 2 inch to 2.5 inches long. Yea, pull out your thumb, and it's about that big. And they were originally a quarter of an inch, maybe when I first got the amanos.

I immediately took it out and put it in my RCS tank, and it was like putting Godzilla in Tokyo. Except it wasn't malicious (it's really shy, actually). I have some full-grown RCS in the tank, and the amano easily dwarfs it.

So. How big do these Amanos really get, and how long can they live? I tried looking it up, but I've got some differing numbers.

Also, are they ok with RCS?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wow, neat story. Your Amano shrimp should be as big as it will get. 2 1/2" is actually larger then normal, the average is about 2". Amano shrimp also live allot longer then RCS. I have heard they can live 3 years. I have had a couple live 2 1/2 years.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've had my RCS get to 1.75 inches in a low shrimp density tank. I only had 2 RCS in a 3g grow out bucket (with 4 danios) and they got huge. Much larger than the 1 inch average adult size. So I think it depends on the shrimp population density, and availability of food.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it would have been one (two if the other one's still alive) shrimp in a 29 gallon, with endless algae and algae wafers (I threw those in for snails). So how's that for population density? :hihi:

I'll try to snap pictures tonight or tomorrow (after I finish all my finals!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts