The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to this forum so bare with me on this. :smile:

So I have been reading along on the posts in this forum and decided I'm going to try getting some shrimp. Since I wanted to see how they would do in my tank I decided to get some ghost shrimp being very cheap. Anyways I just got 2 yesterday and last night I noticed the one glows in the dark. Just wondering if this could be a different species or perhaps one that was injected with some dye? Anyone ever hear of this?

Unfortunetly that one died overnight but the other one is still alive. So the experiment continues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL that sounds wierd:confused: but anyway, can you get some pics?

I tried getting some last night but they didn't turn out. I should have put my camera on a tripod and tried a longer exposer time. And like I said unfortunetly I found it dead this morning.

Makes me wonder if it needed more brackish water. I've also considered the idea of going and buying more to see if I can get another one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it was exposed to something radioactive.

I wouldn't worry too much unless your plants start glowing, then I want some!

-Andrew
LOL If my plants start glowing then I'll definately have to sell them. Along with my fish.

Yeah if anyone has ever heard of this or seen it before please reply, its got me curious. Only 2 possibilities I see are its of a different species and got mixed up or it was like those fish you can buy where they inject them with a dye.

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
It might not be radioactivity.

There is something called bioluminescence, for example Krill (shrimp-like organisms) are known for their ability to emit light. Last time I went night-diving I was endlessly fascinated about the Krill fireworks caused by my movements.

Never heard of Ghost shrimp doing that, but just maybe you got one of the saltwater/brackish/closer to krill-related species which happen to be able to. :fish1:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts

There is something called bioluminescence, for example Krill (shrimp-like organisms) are known for their ability to emit light. Last time I went night-diving I was endlessly fascinated about the Krill fireworks caused by my movements.
That's what I thought. If it was radioactive enough to glow...well...I doubt it would be living.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Never heard of Ghost shrimp doing that, but just maybe you got one of the saltwater/brackish/closer to krill-related species which happen to be able to. :fish1:
Krill (order Euphausiacea) are not even Decapods; saltwater ghost shrimp are really no closer to them than freshwater species. Besides, despite a vague overall similarity in looks, krill are distinct from true shrimp in their physical features and movements, and no species of krill could survive freshwater long enough to fight upstream to a freshwater aquaculture facility or feeder collection grounds.

There are exceedingly few bioluminescent freshwater organisms, but some freshwater bacteria are capable of glowing as you described.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts

Just a joke :hihi: I knew people would take me seriously so I figured Why not?!

Krill are cool though, I wonder if they could be kept in a tank and glow every night:help: .....

WOW that would be amazing~!!!

-Andrew

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Krill (order Euphausiacea) are not even Decapods; saltwater ghost shrimp are really no closer to them than freshwater species. Besides, despite a vague overall similarity in looks, krill are distinct from true shrimp in their physical features and movements, and no species of krill could survive freshwater long enough to fight upstream to a freshwater aquaculture facility or feeder collection grounds.

There are exceedingly few bioluminescent freshwater organisms, but some freshwater bacteria are capable of glowing as you described.
Well I hope my other one doesn't come down with it then. :icon_conf

Thanks everyone for the input! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
i dont kno about a living ghost shrimp, but when I bought my first batch, 6 of them died off, and they all glowed at night
and in the morning, they were pink and ready to eat...
jk bout the eating, butt hey were pink

·
Registered
517 Posts
This happened to me too along time ago! I never asked because I thought I was just imagining it. It died the very next day too and never ever happened again even though I've been through dozens of ghost shrimp from the same shop. It was really interesting while it lasted though.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I didn't think it was bacteria that glowed, but saltwater diatoms. There is even a store on the internet selling these glowing diatoms for experiments in schools, and for your tanks. The diatoms glow when disturbed by waves in the ocean.

·
Registered
573 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
On a slightly side note, there have been times at work when a glofish (usually green danio) will expire and the ghost shrimp in residence will feed off of them and they look odd cause their digestive system has a noticeable neon green color too it for awhile. I should try to get a pic of that sometime. Generally however danio being danio they rarely die.

I never checked my ghosts for odd night time colors but then again their tank was given over to my three crays and now they have to hide or be a light snack.

jason

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.