The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up some ghost shrimp from the store recently and ever since I noticed that alot of empty MTS shells were lieing around the tank. What struck me as strange is the number of smaller ones I was seeing.
At any rate the other day I found the problem. What I caught was one of my ghost shrimp cleaning out a MTS. stuck his little pincers in there and was eating the snails. now I'm not totally broken about this since I was having problems with them trying to get into my filter and clog it. But i'm worried they will eat all my snails. I don't care so much about the pond snails but he MTS's I had planned on giving away.
But I don't have any algae in the tank so I guess they are doing good job there.

I guess I should have just got more Amano shrimp instead.

So in all this I guess I have a question.
What small shrimp are safe to mix with each other?
Right now I just have 3 amano and probably 7-9 Ghosts. I'm thinking about getting some cherries or some CRS's. Or some tiger shrimps.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'd have to say the Amano's are fine with the ghost shrimp since they're around the same size and Amano's IMO can be tempermental when it comes to food. Ghost shrimp can possibly eat shrimp fry since they're scavengers when it comes to food. I'd keep just Amano's and ghosts together if you're trying to breed RCS,CRS, or tigers.

I keep RCS, CRS together in my 29g tank and they coexisit just fine. Also I have a female Atyopsis Moluccensis(asian filter shrimp, wood shrimp, bamboo shrimp, marble shrimp) with them (the CRS seem to like her for some reason, they follow her everywhere).

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Yep Ghosts are great for when you want a snail population to perish! Just don't let them start liking Fish Food!

All the normal dwarf shrimp are usually snail safe. The smaller longarms are usually safe... and the bigger ones probably aren't good to keep for most people....

-Andrew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts