The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a few ghost shrimp and added them to my community tank. A couple of days later, I noticed one of the females had eggs. I left her alone for another couple of days then placed her in a separate tank. The eggs have a transparent green color with two black dots on each egg. Was it too soon for me to transfer the pregnant ghost shrimp?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think it was too soon if the new tanks water quality is good, and she wasn't stressed out too much from the move. You'd know if either was bad because she'd probably drop the eggs. I think the black dots on the eggs are the eyes of the larvae, so you probably moved at a good time. Some ghost shrimp require brackish water(fresh and salt water mix) to morph into the adult form, but I haven't read of any GOOD way to figure out if those are the ones you possess...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I find that a hands off approach works very well toward the larvae if the tank is established and planted.

If it's a fairly new tank, you may need to make infusoria for the larvae though. It's pretty easy, just take some dried grass and let it sit in clean, treated water for a day or two. The water gets a bit cloudy and you can feed that to the larvae via a dropper if you have them in a smallish tank with little filtration. If they are in a larger tank it's going to be harder to get the food to the larvae, and if you're filtering heavily it's going to suck up much of the food that they want to eat.

Best of luck! You may lose this batch, especially if it's not an established tank she's hatching into, but she'll berry again and you'll have another chance soon enough. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.