The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ghost Shrimp milky Whiteness?

4922 Views 15 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  DesignZ
Hey guys!
One of my ghost shrimps turned white and I noticed it today. I bought four and 1 of them died (unknown) and this one has turned milky white. Its quite small and doesn't even eat. I was thinking maybe bacterial infection? So I dosed a little bit of melafix and if it dies and I decide to add more I may use indian almond leaves. I was just curious on everyone's thoughts and if I could save it (if not its okay its part of the circle of life) everything reads about 0 in water parameters (nitrates, ammonia etc.) and was curious if I can prevent it in the future when I get more. I had these guys for a month and I know they're usually thought of as feeders just hit me with some info and if I can save it thanks!:fish1:
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
556 Posts
I started with 8 then 5 died and I was left with 1 female and 2 males. I am guessing I probably have about 20ish now and she is getting ready to have some more. I bought mine from PetSmart and wasn't expecting much but they are definitely interesting to watch.

I am pretty sure it is very common to have a high death rate in ghost/glass shrimp due to the shipping methods and high stress levels from box stores as many people use them primarily as feeder shrimp.

· Registered
556 Posts
Lucky, how'd you breed them? I plan to get more, so how much should I get in your opinion? I keep them with a betta fish.
I am probably the wrong person to ask. Haha. I honestly threw them in and then a couple months later saw some little ones swimming around. I had no intention of breeding them, they looked interesting and I had no bottom feeders to pick up leftovers so a picked up a few. As for my parameters...haven't checked them in a few months....but if I remember right I had zero across the board except for nitrates which was pretty low. I have never tested my kh or gh but according to my city water report I have softer water. Probably not the best for shrimp but it seems to work. Also, I keep my tank at 73-74 degrees.

If I had to give you a number I would say get 12 as most will probably die. If a female doesn't survive get some more. The females are a lot bigger than the males and will have a green saddle on their back.

Here is a baby

Here is the female berried

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.