The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
One of my ghost shrimps turned white and I noticed it today. I bought four and 1 of them died (unknown) and this one has turned milky white. Its quite small and doesn't even eat. I was thinking maybe bacterial infection? So I dosed a little bit of melafix and if it dies and I decide to add more I may use indian almond leaves. I was just curious on everyone's thoughts and if I could save it (if not its okay its part of the circle of life) everything reads about 0 in water parameters (nitrates, ammonia etc.) and was curious if I can prevent it in the future when I get more. I had these guys for a month and I know they're usually thought of as feeders just hit me with some info and if I can save it thanks!:fish1:

·
Registered
587 Posts
huh

Hey guys!
One of my ghost shrimps turned white and I noticed it today. I bought four and 1 of them died (unknown) and this one has turned milky white. Its quite small and doesn't even eat. I was thinking maybe bacterial infection? So I dosed a little bit of melafix and if it dies and I decide to add more I may use indian almond leaves. I was just curious on everyone's thoughts and if I could save it (if not its okay its part of the circle of life) everything reads about 0 in water parameters (nitrates, ammonia etc.) and was curious if I can prevent it in the future when I get more. I had these guys for a month and I know they're usually thought of as feeders just hit me with some info and if I can save it thanks!:fish1:
I had 18 of them and 3 of them berried up and ready to give birth and mine started to turn white 1 by 1 I tried everything Melafix... water changes... nothing worked over a month they died I had them for about 3 months. I'm guessing water hardness was off and they couldn't Molt properly or something like that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had 18 of them and 3 of them berried up and ready to give birth and mine started to turn white 1 by 1 I tried everything Melafix... water changes... nothing worked over a month they died I had them for about 3 months. I'm guessing water hardness was off and they couldn't Molt properly or something like that.
They molted a couple times already any solution or better shrimps? Was planning to get 20 more and try

·
Registered
587 Posts
well

They molted a couple times already any solution or better shrimps? Was planning to get 20 more and try
Mine molten a few times but then just kinda died lol. I would get some neocaridina shrimp ty the red or blue cobalt or blue velvets are very pretty. If you post in the roak/wtb section of the forum someone will surely have some they can sell ya. They are easier to raise. But if you really want ghost/glass shrimp buy them from someone in the forums because the ones in the LFS are not very well taken care of they die faster then the ones raised by individuals.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine molten a few times but then just kinda died lol. I would get some neocaridina shrimp ty the red or blue cobalt or blue velvets are very pretty. If you post in the roak/wtb section of the forum someone will surely have some they can sell ya. They are easier to raise. But if you really want ghost/glass shrimp buy them from someone in the forums because the ones in the LFS are not very well taken care of they die faster then the ones raised by individuals.
Yeah all of mine came from my local but veryyyy distant petsmart T_T there were about a couple dozens in the tank by themselves ALL along the bottom so I figured the death rate is gonna be high. However for .30 cents a pop who could go wrong?

·
Registered
587 Posts
yeah

Yeah all of mine came from my local but veryyyy distant petsmart T_T there were about a couple dozens in the tank by themselves ALL along the bottom so I figured the death rate is gonna be high. However for .30 cents a pop who could go wrong?
Yeah mine where around that price as well I got mine from a petco. When a couple got pregnant I was thinking heck ya then they died and that was the last time I bought them lol.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I started with 8 then 5 died and I was left with 1 female and 2 males. I am guessing I probably have about 20ish now and she is getting ready to have some more. I bought mine from PetSmart and wasn't expecting much but they are definitely interesting to watch.

I am pretty sure it is very common to have a high death rate in ghost/glass shrimp due to the shipping methods and high stress levels from box stores as many people use them primarily as feeder shrimp.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah mine where around that price as well I got mine from a petco. When a couple got pregnant I was thinking heck ya then they died and that was the last time I bought them lol.
Kinda figured its a chance thing

I started with 8 then 5 died and I was left with 1 female and 2 males. I am guessing I probably have about 20ish now and she is getting ready to have some more. I bought mine from PetSmart and wasn't expecting much but they are definitely interesting to watch.

I am pretty sure it is very common to have a high death rate in ghost/glass shrimp due to the shipping methods and high stress levels from box stores as many people use them primarily as feeder shrimp.
Lucky, how'd you breed them? I plan to get more, so how much should I get in your opinion? I keep them with a betta fish.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Lucky, how'd you breed them? I plan to get more, so how much should I get in your opinion? I keep them with a betta fish.
I am probably the wrong person to ask. Haha. I honestly threw them in and then a couple months later saw some little ones swimming around. I had no intention of breeding them, they looked interesting and I had no bottom feeders to pick up leftovers so a picked up a few. As for my parameters...haven't checked them in a few months....but if I remember right I had zero across the board except for nitrates which was pretty low. I have never tested my kh or gh but according to my city water report I have softer water. Probably not the best for shrimp but it seems to work. Also, I keep my tank at 73-74 degrees.

If I had to give you a number I would say get 12 as most will probably die. If a female doesn't survive get some more. The females are a lot bigger than the males and will have a green saddle on their back.

Here is a baby

Here is the female berried

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So cute...I seem to have one female. the males....all of them....seem to be problematic. One of them is all milky and the other one is lethargic. Only the female is jollying around like no tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It might have been a bacterial infection, that causes cloudy bodies. Try treating it with some Paraguard by seachem. I find that melafix and pimafix really don't do anything, other than smell up my fishroom.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It might have been a bacterial infection, that causes cloudy bodies. Try treating it with some Paraguard by seachem. I find that melafix and pimafix really don't do anything, other than smell up my fishroom.
They worked for fish before. what about IAL? (Indian Almond Leaves?) No one around my area even sells those (dang lfs)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What's a good temp? I only did everything as precautions they are all pretty good still and alive. I keep my temp at 72.

Here's the white shrimp

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Just keep them as cool as possible. 72 is wonderful.
Sorry I keep it at 76, minimum for the betta. and for some reason my temp dial was 80 yesterday when I checked...T_T maybe that was why.....I'm keeping it at a steady 76 for all the inhabitants

The small one has died. It was alive getting eaten by my bigger male, but...I took him out and ended it. Should I get more? Or look for an alternative?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts