The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank that I have been establishing to put a cardinia species in. I have been using ghost shrimp and amanos to keep the tank clean. Well, yesterday I noticed a bunch of shrimplet looking creatures hanging around (like mosquito larva almost) in my tank. I think they are ghost shrimp. Any idea how big these are when they hatch? I am trying to get a feel for their age.

They are still around today, and there is no lack of algea, biofilm etc in the tank. Nor is there any predation. So I think they might survive. Admittedly I am not too sure how I feel about that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
im sure they are really small and they look like mosquito larvae... i have a 5 gallon hex and one of them has green balls inside the belly so im currently watching if shes gonna lay the egg...

they said they are hard to feed

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Ghost shrimp larvae are quite small, but they look rather like small shrimp unless you look at them under magnification. They don't look like mosquito larvae, unfortunately. Lots of other things do, most of which aren't mosquitos, if that makes you feel any better. Google images can find a few pictures of them for you.

Feeding them is not really a problem unless it's a very new tank. They'll feed on whatever gunk is floating around in the tank or on plants.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts