The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this happen? I purchased about 10 cherries whose size ranged from small-medium and stuck them in a tank with adault ghost shrimp and two guppies. Today I couldnt find about 30% of the cherries, they could be hiding, but im worried that somthing in my tank ate them. Could it have been the ghost shrimp? :icon_eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have heard/read that it happens but haven't see it myself. Sounds like you just verified it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The ghost shrimp eating the cherries is very unlikely if they are really true Palaemonetes paludosus.

There is a good chance that they could be a baby Macro.

The guppies can be the culprits also.

How long have you had the cherries?

They may be still getting used to the new scape.

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ghost shrimp, as has been said, can often be mislabeled macro species. This is VERY common with inverts at my (and most that I have visited) LFS so I imagine it's probably what's happened.

Guppies and even microrasbora will go after small shrimplets and possibly shrimp (though this is less likely) as well. Usually if you want to experience no losses, you'd be best keeping shrimp in a species tank.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
yea, i would really doubt they would go after adults, but i think they may snag a baby if one happens by it.. I personally would not keep different shrimp species together, especially ones that get larger such as the ghosts...

F

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.