The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad just bought me some ghost shrimp, 8 of them, and now i only have 5 after 2 days... when they die they look alot like the shrimp i eat.
my water parameters are
ammonia- 0
nitrite- 0
nitrate-~40( did a nice water change after testing)
pH- 7.0
GH- 7 degrees
kH- 2-3 degrees.

they are house with bronze cories and harlequin rasboras and some guppy fry in my 26 gallon. my plants are anubias , java moss, and brazilian pennywort. plz help. your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
It is common to have ghost shrimp die off after you buy them. They are usually sold as feeders and are treated as such. If half of the ghost shrimp I bought lived, I would be happy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Epicfish is right, Ghost shrimp really are Brackish water creatures. Meaning they are born and usually raised in water that has a slight Ocean Salt content where say a river and the ocean would meet. I myself bought a bunch of them and not one of them lasted any longer than 4 months in my freshwater tank. I do plan to buy a bunch for my new Brackish water Puffer tank though, which they should do much better in.

If you want nice shrimp for a Freshwater tank that are not too terribly expensive, I would recommend the Red Cherry Shrimp seen here.

They're usually inexpensive. About $2 each here in Michigan but they can be found online for $1.00 each. And one thing to remember with these guys is you need to keep up on the water changes. I've lost way too many to count for no reason other than probably stale water.

Hope this helps you out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.