The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lfs sells ghost shrimp for 50 cents or so. I was wondering if they can carry diseases like feeder goldfish? I thought my fish might benefit from hunting some live food (I have Buenos Aires and I think they would try to eat them). Actually, if the shrimp survived I think that would be really cool. However if they can carry parasites or disease that can transmit to my fish I won't bother.

I've never dealt with shrimp and none of my friends do either, so I need some educating!
Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
Feeders are usually kept in poor conditions. I don't usually see ghost shrimps like that, usually it's a very small amount.

I know my BATS some were quite large for tetras and only had taste for the plants, they seem to on top or mid swimmers so they should be fine, I never seen them go after any small Amanos or any shrimp for that matter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They can carry disease just like other feeders. Also, if they haven't eaten they have little nutritional value. My red eyed puffe loves them though. I usually buy a bunch, keep them in a separate tank, and feed them bloodworms for a week before I feed. Then you have a chance to look for sick ones. And if they have clouded bodies they are definitely sick.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips! My lfs has just a handful of Ghost shrimp in a 10g sales tank - I don't know that they sell them as feeders - I just thought some people used them that way. Since my BATs are so voracious when it comes to general feeding and plants, I figured shrimp would be a snack for them too. If they leave the shrimp alone and the shrimp thrive, that would be a big bonus. I will read up on their needs, put some in my QT tank, and observe them to see if the are healthy before adding any to my tank.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I buy Ghost Shrimp from my LFS here 12 for $1 and they go right into my 55 gallon. The Loaches seem to have no problem using them for lunch and the bigger ones last a bit longer and keep things cleaned up that others miss.

Anyway I have been putting in 1-2 dozen a week from the LFS feeder tank and most weeks I have ~1-2 left on new shrimp day and the worst I ever had was the shrimp die before getting ate. The loaches who I am assuming are the ones eating them have been happily munching them and snails in the tank now for ~3 years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.