The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at ghost shrimp lately, and they look so cool. I heard they also help with cleaning algae, is this true? Are these suckers in danger of being eaten by tetras, loaches, corys, plecos, angels, or any other peaceful fish? I really want to get some, but I do not want my fish to eat them. They are so neat!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Those are feeder shrimp and they didn't last long in the tank with the rosy barbs and the zebra danios.

I got a few at 30 cents each and they were Ok in the tetra tank, so when I found them at 5 cents I bought $2 worth for the bigger tank. I though the barb (Rosy the Barbarian, Snail Killer) was going to split open she ate so much so fast. Two or three survived that first hour.

The ghosts pick up missed fish food but don't really work on algae much. The amano shrimp do, save your $ for them, at least 1 per 5 gallons, I'd say.

·
Are these real?
15,698 Posts
I think they are way cool! I have four in my tank, and they are fighting with the other fishies for food, like the little pellets I give them sometimes. They get them and then run away as far as they can. Mine don't eat algae, but they are looking through the gravel all day for anything edible, I think that is very beneficial. Amano shrimps are supposed to be good at eating algae, but I have never seen them offered locally.
I have some Yoyo loaches (B. lohachata) which haven't eaten them yet, but I think if they (the loaches) keep growing like that life might become more dangerous for the shrimps. I am pretty sure an Angelfish will rip them up quickly. I mean... they are tasty.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I got like 50 of em for 10 bucks at the LFS...they use them as feeder shrimp. I love em...they keep all the crud that falls to the bottom of the tank in check....If you have a fish that dies though...dont expect to find it in the morning...it will be gone!

Mike :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have some for feeders in my predator tanks and I have them along with amano ones in my 10 gal planted tank with a betta. I think the betta has one every now and again but for 12 cents a piece It doesn't bother me much. I have seen the spinneretts hold babies and since I have yet to see baby amano and glass shrimp, the betta supplements its meals with them. Awesome cleanup crew.

Ray

·
Registered
752 Posts
Gdominy,

WOW what an insane price....maybe the shrimp we have as ghost or glass shrimp are not the same? I put some pics in Mike's 100 Gallon....are they the same? I have also found that they reproduce like MAD! However, if you overdose with Rid Ich + then that will kill most of em off. <-----Personal Experience :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Oh they are the same.. trust me.. its just a very different market up here. The Canadian Economy is as different from the Sates as.. Well.. Apples to Oranges.

A lot of it has to do with what we are or arent allowed to bring across teh border with a minimal amount of paperwork... More red tape = higher price.

We dont have a lot of fish farms in Canada so its difficult to get a lot of variety without paying top dollar.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wow G....that is a shame....maybe you could sneak across and fill a thermos with these puppies....they would be sure to reproduce in your tank....you can see from my pics they have eggies in them!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Ok that suggestion is right out! LOL ....sorry...BTW I was NOT one of the fishermen on that trip!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The rid ich has copper in it. You will find that any copper based medication will kill off any invertabrite. Includes corals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts