The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that various sp. of Crypts tolerate/thrive in a variety of hardness ranges, but is there a recommended range or can someone point me to a resource that lists a variety of Crypts and their recommended hardness ranges? Preferably whatever degree GH as the same unit the API test kit is in. Thanks!

·
Registered
752 Posts
I grow mostly emersed but have parva, petchii and flamingo in tank... my gh is off the api chart hard and ive never had an issue growing. For crypts it seems ph is much more of the issue with different varieties.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Multiple C. nurii cultivars and C. affinis 'metallic red' have done well for me in sand-capped MTS at a low GH (~6 degrees). C. hudoroi and C. balansae not so much, but these are traditionally considered more 'hard water' species. Interestingly, Amano used C. balansae in innumerous scapes despite having very low hardness (never higher than 3 dGH). I suspect this may have to do with Aquasoil's cation-exchange capacity - though the minerals in the water would be low, it's possible that the substrate held enough mineral cations to supply the crypts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My PH is around 6.4 and my GH is around 2-3 on the api test kits. If I add a GH booster, will that also raise the PH due to the same minerals hardening the water? I pump a good bit of CO2 into the water and I'm pretty sure this is the reason my PH is so low. My substrate is an even mix of fluorite and flora max.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts