The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a tds meter and gh kit. Is a gh of 11/12 too high. My ph is 8.0 this read 254 and kh is 7. My tank looks healthy enough but I don't see as many adult shrimp after them breeding for several months. I seen 2 that had white ring of death but only 2 out of 50+. Only found 2 dead ones in 4 months but most of the larger ones just disappear... there is a couple small sandstone rocks in there but they passed the vinegar test. My concern is the substrate( seachum onyx black sand) heard it releases calcium and magnesium. This is the tank in question at setup then 6 months later

Attachments

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
The GH and KH are not too high. Shrimp have been raised and bred well in higher parameters.

What are your source water parameters like?

Diet?

Can you think of any changes that may have occurred in the past several months?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tap water gh is 6 and kg is 5. And yeah the ph started at 7.4. It took 4 months to get to 8.0 but has stayed there. Their diet consists of algae wafers 3-5x a week and shrimp cuisine by hikari 2-3x a week. They get an occasional piece of steam/boiled vegetables, tho that is kinda random and depends on our meals that day.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
If you don't top up with RO water or distilled, only do water changes/top offs with tap water, then that could cause your GH and KH to rise. Water evaporates, minerals don't.

If you want to confirm if it's the soil or not, you could place some in a bucket with fresh tap water and let it sit for a day to a week and see if the parameters of the water change.

The shrimp might be getting too much protein. Many "algae wafers" aren't algae based at all, but rather, algae infused. You might need to double check the ingredients and see if you can find a true algae or vegetable based food to feed at least twice a week, then your protein food once a week. Failed molts could also occur if there's too much protein in the diet.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
It could be the type of protein that's important.... that is, if it's animal based protein, higher chance of failed molts vs a plant or vegetable based protein.

Many "algae wafers" don't actually have algae show up on the ingredient list until the 5th to 9th ingredient.

So in other words.... I'm recommending a vegetable or *true* algae based food twice a week, then an animal based food once a week.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Sponge filters are popular with shrimp tanks since they don't have a big bioload.

HOB's come next with a pre-filter sponge, panty hose, metal cage or simliar.

After that, canister filters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.