The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
What kind of shrimp are you keeping? If it's cherry shrimp, they really don't care what you put them in (I've got a thriving colony in water with a pH of 8.7, for instance.) Other shrimp, like some of the sulawesi species and ghost shrimp, actually prefer basic conditions.

Are you running CO2 in the tank? If not, a low KH isn't a big deal, if so, you might want to add a bit of baking soda to try to get the KH up to 2 or 3. The hardness should be fine.

Generally speaking, a stable environment is preferable to one that changes for a shrimp tank. I adjust the parameters of the new water before it gets to the tank to try to reduce the swings that a water change inevitably causes. Does it make any difference to the shrimp? I dunno, honestly.

Shouldn't need prime unless you're really stirring up some gunk in the bottom of the tank when you do a water change. That can cause an ammonia spike, which prime can help with, but otherwise it's wasted money. I don't use it at all, personally, and haven't had problems.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Cherry shrimp should be fine then. If you're worried about your tap water's pH, you could go 20/80 tap/distilled and it will come out at about a pH of 7 when you do water changes. It will also probably give you a reasonable GH and KH as a result.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.