The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gH has crept up to about 7 and I want to drop it. The tank is full of CRS/CBS/Goldens with berries, babies, etc.

Should I do small daily pure RO water changes or just a bigger one and be done with it? I just think the small daily ones aren't going to have a big impact only changing a gallon a day, but not sure on doing a big one and shocking the berried moms.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I'm actually doing the same thing right now though I don't have any berried I do have quite a few neo babies (supremes) though. I'm doing about 15-20% twice weekly to pull it down. I've been using Fluval Minerals to get the water change water to about GH of 4. The tank water is GH 9 right now. With the first change, the next day the GH had dropped to 8. Have to wait til tomorrow to test where it has settled to now. So without experience precisely with your situation if I had to toss out an opinion, I'd do smaller water changes 2-3 times a week to drop it gradually as opposed to all at once. Depends on how much you value those berried females. If you don't mind the potential stress or dropped eggs or if your numbers in the colony are high, a one time shot and be done with it might make life easier on you.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would look for the reason of why your gH is creeping up, nothing will help if you don’t find the reason. Do you have mineral stone in the tank??
Old gH kit I think and it was running out, so I wasn't getting a full drop when I squeezed a drop out and the date was rubbed off the bottle, it was so old.

I got a new one today, did 3 tests in a row and came to 7. I did about a 15-20% water change over the last 5 hours slowly adding it with about a 2gH mixed water and it brought it down to about 5-6, and dropped my TDS about 40 to 190, so I'm happy. Everyone seems fine and is out and more active.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.