The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GH booster seems to be K:Ca:Mg sulfate @ 3:3:1

Can I substitute calcium nitrate for calcium sulfate?

Gypsum doesn't readily dissolve in water without a hassle while the nitrate salt does and it supplies some nitrogen too.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
If you did it'd be hard to balance N from the Ca(NO3)2 and the KNO3 already being dosed. Even if you neglect dosing KNO3 you'd have trouble if you ever wanted to dose more or less N. I'd save myself some trouble and just go with CaCl if you want easy solubility.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have used Ca(no3)2 in place of kno3 but when doing so add 1/2 the amount as you would for kno3. Ca has 2 + and thus is double the amount of no3 as kno3.

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
GH booster seems to be K:Ca:Mg sulfate @ 3:3:1

Can I substitute calcium nitrate for calcium sulfate?

Gypsum doesn't readily dissolve in water without a hassle while the nitrate salt does and it supplies some nitrogen too.
I usually use Ca(NO3)2 to add nitrate without increasing potassium.
For every ppm of Ca you increase, you have a corresponding increase of about 3.1 ppm of nitrate. If you up your Ca to 7 ppm your NO3 will be at 22 ppm. If you dosed this once a week and did 50% water changes your Ca would go to 14 ppm and your nitrate to 44 ppm.
14 ppm Ca is about 2 deg GH. This is about the most you would want to increase your GH using Ca(NO3)2.
I'd say It is not a very good source of Ca.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.