The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm interested in getting some shrimp for my tank, but I have very soft tap water (kh and gh of 1-2).

I have cardinal tetras, which typically like soft water. Would shrimp like Amanos or cherry shrimp be able to survive with water this soft or should I raise the gh with something like Salty Shrimp? Should I also raise the kh? Would my fish suffer from raising either one?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I would guess that a gH of less than 4 would cause molting problems for shrimp, but then if other people say they have done it it isn't impossible.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My water is probably the same or very similar to yours (I'm on Long Island), I had no problem keeping Amanos and RCS. Snails don't do that well though.
@houseofcards Do you add anything to up the gh or just use tap water?

Sounds like I won't do the RCS then. This is for a 7 gallon, so it's already a tight squeeze and the cherries will have nowhere to run. :(

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, didn't add anything, tap and prime. Had the Amanos for years.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm the type to not mess with water params and since you also live in NY this gives me more confidence not to try to mess with it. I plan to get some Amanos soonish. I have no cleanup crew at the moment.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Cardinal Tetras take in the calcium from the water. All fresh water fish do, but some are more efficient than others. Cardinals can take in so much calcium that it can kill them.
It may be that tank raised Cards are OK in slightly higher GH, but many are still wild caught, and must have softer water. GH of just a degree or two is just right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.