The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 20 long aquarium has been very cloudy lately and it isn't green water, instead it must be something with my fertilizers.

I alternate macros and CSM+B + Extra DPTA Iron throughout the week and at the start of the week add GH booster to bring the dGH to around 7. Well today I checked and it was nearly rock bottom - 2 (which is what it comes out of the tap as). The day before I added this product called "Crystal Clear" by Aquarium Products. It sure did clear the aquarium water to literally crystal clear. The fish looked as if they were flying in air!

However, I can tell it's doing something my GH booster (CaSO4, MgSO4, and K2SO4).

So I guess the real question is, what could be causing my cloudy water? I'm documenting what's going on....water was crystal clear just a minute ago before I added 1 tbsp of GH booster...I'll check on it when I get home. Oh I did add KNO3 and excel this morning

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
When you are doing tests like this do not keep adding some of this and some of that.
Just one thing, run the test to its conclusion before adding anything else.

If you want to run multiple tests set up a dozen jars of water with a different material in each jar, and a jar with nothing but tap water.
1) Tap water. No additives.
2) Tap + Dechlor
3) Tap + Crystal Clear
4) Tap + KNO3
5) Tap + KH2PO4
... and so on.
I would stir each jar daily, or several times a day if possible.
Test daily with whatever tests are appropriate.
Once you have monitored these for a few days, then add the Crystal Clear to each jar. See which jar responds.

If you still get nowhere, then try a jar with 2 things at a time, such as dechlor + a fertilizer, or 2 fertilizers.
Repeat the few days of test and watch, then add the Crystal Clear.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I don't think these jars are going to act like my aquarium that is 90% planted...

If these jars are not going to be using up any of the fertilizers then of course they will be there to precipitate out when I add the interacting one the next day.

I'm not just adding some of this and some of that, doses are calculated out according to several online calculators. Settings are dialed in for a 20 gallon tank so I'm not just playing around, I simply added the Crystal Clear product and noticed the next day that the dGH basically reverted to what it is when it comes out of the tap.

- Garrett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts