The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing 50% water changes with DI trying to drop down my GH and KH. For some reason it refuses to budge. I have shrimp ordered and expecting them to arrive 10/26. What can I do to resolve this issue?

Tank Specs:
20g Long
Flora max Substrate
No Ferts being dosed

Parameters:
12 GH
6 KH
Not sure of the TDS but ordered the meter today and should arrive within the week

Thank you

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flora Max.

About to order Amazonia Powder. Doesn't it leach ammonia for the first 2 weeks? Thinking I won't be ready for the new shrimp by the 26th. If the tank is cycled does it take less time for the amazonia to settle?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Amazonia leeches for 4+ weeks. I'm on week 5 and have changed water twice a week, ammonia is just now getting down to .5 ppm.

It's the best for shrimp tho

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
The leeching is going to leech no matter what. Doing some big water changes, is going to cost using pure water and maybe reduce the time a bit but its probably still going to leech for a while. I'm 2.5 weeks into Netlea soil, doing WC's, Rena canister filter on a 20 gal fill with well established biomedia and purigen, a giant sponge filter that is from and established tank and I've finally went down from 4ppm to 2ppm. It is buffering my gh/kh of 8 or 9 and pH of 7.6 to pH 6-6.2-6.4, depending on how much water I've been changing. I did add a few "tester" crystals after a week, another 2 after 2 weeks for a total of 4 crystals and they are fine. Their white isn't fading, and has actually even gotten whiter since doing a 5gal WC yesterday with pure RO and Mousara mineral supplement. They are active, foraging, not trying to escape, as well as a few snowballs I added a week ago and they are still crystal clear, no signs of cloudy bodies or anything. So either the low pH of 6.0 is neutralizing most ammonia that is leeching, the purigen is neutralizing as well, the ammonia that nelea leeches is actually a form of ammonium, but so far 8 shrimp have been in 4ppm ammonia for a while with no ill effects. Nitrites are 0, nitrates are low as I have frogbit and moss everywhere, so the tank is fully cycled, just the soil won't give up all the ammonia yet. lol.

Do I advise this, no. I was willing to risk 8 shrimp to see if they could make it through and they have and see healthy. Snowballs are reallll easy to tell if they aren't well. The clear bodies should be crystal clear almost except for saddle/eggs/brains/food/poop. lol. They are fine as are the crystals. I don't know what type of shrimp you are getting, but if you want to risk it, thats your choice, just saying I did it and it worked. Doing large tap water changes though, you can spike your ph and turn the ammonia more toxic. The higher the pH, the more toxic it is.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the cost of DI water is no issue, my Girlfriend works in a lab. She fills the jugs before leaving work and brings them home. Only downside, she HATES lugging them around, so the less she has to transfer the better. I have ordered the substrate because there is nothing in the tank except a few plantlets of blyxa and a few stems of rotala green. I'm am going to contact the seller and see if they can hold my order. If not well I have no idea what I can do except hope they survive daily water changes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered 10 CRS SSS and yellows, along with 10 golden bees (which I'm not worried about because they are going into a different tank.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Time for another tank, setup the ada in that, let it cycle, keep them in the high gh/kh tank for now, won't kill them. I had my crystal in tap water with ecocomplete. 7.6pH 8gH/kH. They made it through. didn't breed, but kept them going. I put 4 low grade C crystals in my tank as the testers. No way my SS/SSS are going into that tank till ammonia is at 0. lol.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
That's with the old amazonia. It's new and improved now, lol.

You used to be able to do a few days of 100% water changes and get all the ammonia out, i tried with the new amazonia and it didn't work, ammonia was still off the charts.

The yellow and PFR will breed, so will the CRS/goldens, but maybe you can divide your tank for a few weeks, or use breeder nets or something to separate

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah new and improved!!! lol. Well i think what I will do first and foremost is hope the seller can hold the order (fingers crossed). If not, put the amazonia in a tub with a power head and wait until it cycles and keep them in the tank. I'm not sure if the high grade CRS will handle those parameters though (12GH/6KH). What do you guys think?

Also checked the 55g my PFR are in currently and it's 4KH and 8GH. They seem fine although it's only been a a week or so since I got them from you Liam. If they are anything like Cherries they will breed and not care. However what do you think about the golden bees, will they be fine and breed in those conditions (4/8 GH/KH)?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
That's not too bad, KH is a little high, but they will probably breed anyways.

And 12 GH/6KH probably wont kill the SSS short term (month or so), but they will definitely not breed in it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If they can hold the order can I just put the amazonia in my already established 20g and cycle? Or do I NEED to cycle it in a different a tank then add into the 20g?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To me (I could be wrong though =)), it would cycle faster if I put it in the already established tank where the filter has the beneficial bacteria built up. Thinking the BB would help speed up the process of the amazonia leeching. Or does this stuff leech crazy at first and would kill off the colony?

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
That's the thing, it has nothign to do with bacteria, it's just the stuff exudes ammonia for a period of time, so even if adding it to a fully cycled tank, it's still putting off ammonia, and not a little bit, a TON of it.

You could leech it in a tub though, just fill it with water, and empty it out and fill with water every day until the soil reaches 0 ppm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts