The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

Question regarding gh and kh...
It's too high in my aquarium- I live in London uk, very hard water. I have a kh of 11 and a gh of 17!!!!
Sadly I don't keep rift lake cichlids, I keep tetras, plants, shrimp and corydoras.
But my shrimp don't breed. Had them for over 6 months now, have all grown and moult regularly but they never breed, there is definatly a selection of males and females.
So I need to reduce the gh and kh.... What do you suggest? Obviously the fish I have are used to what I have, having been bought locally and kept happily for 6 months.
I really don't want to upset them!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
430 Posts
There is only one way - use RO water. I personally mix my tap water with RO purchased from the super market in refill containers to get the hardness and alkalinity down to a more suitable level. If you can afford your own RO unit you can use RO exclusively and remineralize the water with Baking Soda and GH booster - this is the best way to go but intitial cost of the unit could be prohibitive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure your tetras aren't eating the babies. What kind of shrimp?
They are cardinal tetras, and bee and black crystal shrimp. tetras are well fed and there are lots of plant/wood hiding places, so i dont think shrimplets are being eaten.... plus i have never seen the females berried. :-(. my filter intake is covered so they are not going up there either... Just think the params are not right.

So.... How do I go about introducing RO water without upsetting the tank inhabitants?

Thanks again

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have RCS in a cory tank, mostly pygmy cories, and they dont breed either. I use RO water and remineralize with GH booster and baking soda to a GH=3 and KH=3.

None of the females have ever been saddled so its not a case of the fish eating the babies.

I thought it was temperature at first so I dropped the temp from 78 to 74 and after a few months, still no saddles, so I'm as stumped as you are.

BTW, I have a shrimp only tank too, using RO water and remineralized exactly the same, and they breed like crazy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have RCS in a cory tank, mostly pygmy cories, and they dont breed either. I use RO water and remineralize with GH booster and baking soda to a GH=3 and KH=3.

None of the females have ever been saddled so its not a case of the fish eating the babies.

I thought it was temperature at first so I dropped the temp from 78 to 74 and after a few months, still no saddles, so I'm as stumped as you are.

BTW, I have a shrimp only tank too, using RO water and remineralized exactly the same, and they breed like crazy.
It's very strange.... I used to have a 180l with CRS, angels(!), corys and tetras and my red crystals bread like crazy....
Guess we need to go down the candle light and soft music route! Hehehe

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gradually increase the proportion of RO or distilled water to allow the inhabitants time to adapt. I would do it over a period of weeks.
Thankyou

So what's the difference between... Distilled, purified and RO water?
I can get distilled from work and we also have a water purifier... It kind of heats the water (I think) and makes it suitable for autoclaves... In the bottom of the purifier there is always loads of lime scale/ gunk that needs to be cleaned out.
Could I use this purified water plus correct shrimp remineralisation?
Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.