The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local water (well) has 52ppm of CaCO3 (2.91 dKH) and Total Hardness of 51ppm (2.87 dGH)

If these are essentially equal, does that mean I have no Magnesium or anything else in Total Hardness? All Calcium?

Should i consider dosing Epsom salt to get a 3:1 ratio of Calcium to Magnesium?

I would not want to raise my dKH as I want soft water.

· Registered
344 Posts
Your dKH is measuring carbonates (CO3) not calcium so you can't assume that all of your dGH is comprised of just calcium; instead, you may want to get a calcium test kit to measure your Ca

If you do end up raising your dGH then, yeah, raising it at a 3:1 ratio of Ca:Mg is good

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your dKH is measuring carbonates (CO3) not calcium so you can't assume that all of your dGH is comprised of just calcium; instead, you may want to get a calcium test kit to measure your Ca

If you do end up raising your dGH then, yeah, raising it at a 3:1 ratio of Ca:Mg is good
Somehow I didn't connect the dots, thanks. So would calcium carbonate add to both GH and KH, with the carbonate adding to the KH and the calcium adding to the GH? Would calcium chloride be better so it doesn't effect KH? So my GH is made up of Ca and Mg but need to test for each to know by how much, and there could be other trace minerals in GH as well. I think I got it. Thanks again!

· Registered
344 Posts
Somehow I didn't connect the dots, thanks. So would calcium carbonate add to both GH and KH, with the carbonate adding to the KH and the calcium adding to the GH? Would calcium chloride be better so it doesn't effect KH? So my GH is made up of Ca and Mg but need to test for each to know by how much, and there could be other trace minerals in GH as well. I think I got it. Thanks again!
Correct, when calcium carbonate dissolves it'll raise both GH and KH. Now when it comes to raising GH I prefer CaSO4 over CaCl2 since A. I use RO water and B. I don't want to introduce chloride into the tank. That said, CaSO4 does take longer to dissolve and you'll find plenty of people using CaCl2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts