The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm starting to believe that the plant I have isn't red tiger lotus. I have a finnex planted plus, and a Catalina 48 in 4 bulb fixture with pressurized Co2. I dose and use root tabs. After all this I never get the low growing plant with those deep reds.

Is there another plant that is confused with the red tiger lotus? I see other aquarist plants that look like it's supposed to with no CO2 and low lights.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's a bummer. I paid for red tiger and got this.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Don't think that is Tiger Lotus.

Not really sure maybe just the lack of red makes it look different to me.

I use aquariumplants.com Total and Iron root tabs that will make it red if it is indeed a Tiger Lotus

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
It looks like dwarf lily, I have a few bulbs. They won't get as red as tiger lotus but dosing iron and using medium light got a lovely bronze/orange/pink hue with red tints. Btw they are huge potassium hogs, if you get large holes in the leaves that's potassium deficiency.
I've tried several times to take photos of the leave but the picture always comes out more yellow than is actually is :/

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My girlfriend loves the plant. The shrimp love to crawl around it. Some of the leaves were huge. Now the task is to find the real red tiger lotus. I added a second light to my take just for it as I thought it didn't have enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In my experience red tiger lotus will always be a very deep red regardless of water/lighting conditions
This is sort of true. Nyphaea Zenkeri (Red Tiger Lotus) can and often does exhibit polymorphic coloration, even when grown if full bright light. Leaves can be a faded pink, bi or multi color red, white and pink, or red with variegated with light green. Some are even a deep chocolate brown. The reason? Usually depends if the plants are propagated from rhizome cuttings or seed. The inflorescence easily sets seed and often those seeds are cross pollinations with different species lilies growing near by. Only plants grown from vegetative cuttings will assure the same reliable color.

Yes, environmental factors affect coloration, too. But usually it is the genetic quality of plant stock that determines redness.

If water parameters are met, (enough nitrogen, potassium, etc.) and the lily receives adequate medium to bright light and still doesn't produce deep bronze/red leaves it is most likely a result of the actual plant stock.

But, hey. Nothing wrong with growing a pink leafed lily with big white splotches as long as it's vigorous and healthy. :)

Bump:
In my experience red tiger lotus will always be a very deep red regardless of water/lighting conditions
This is sort of true. Nyphaea Zenkeri (Red Tiger Lotus) can and often does exhibit polymorphic coloration, even when grown if full bright light. Leaves can be a faded pink, bi or multi color red, white and pink, or red with variegated with light green. Some are even a deep chocolate brown. The reason? Usually depends if the plants are propagated from rhizome cuttings or seed. The inflorescence easily sets seed and often those seeds are cross pollinations with different species lilies growing near by. Only plants grown from vegetative cuttings will assure the same reliable color.

Yes, environmental factors affect coloration, too. But usually it is the genetic quality of plant stock that determines redness.

If water parameters are met, (enough nitrogen, potassium, etc.) and the lily receives adequate medium to bright light and still doesn't produce deep bronze/red leaves it is most likely a result of the actual plant stock.

But, hey. Nothing wrong with growing a pink leafed lily with big white splotches as long as it's vigorous and healthy. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.