The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ordered some plants from a fellow on the west coast (glosso, mini rotola, ludwiga and fissidens). It is pretty cold right now; when I get these in the mail how should I transition/acclimate them to my tank?

How many sq inches will 500 nodes of glosso cover?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Depends on how big the nodes are. Plant them individually and cover the entire area. The glosso will grow and fill in the space...how big of a space do you have?

I unbag the plants and rinse them in the sink. I've recently started to heat up some water in a cup, add enough salt to make it pretty salty, then add it to an entire sink of cool water. I'll make sure it's all mixed in, and then dip the plants in there for a quick bath. As you gently swirl the plants around, you'll see the larger snails die quickly and settle to the bottom.

I've done this for two plant shipments and no snails yet! *crosses fingers*

Other than that, I float my plants in my tank for a day or so, longer if they don't look so good. Then I'll plant them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to be starting up a tank at school with well, a rougher bunch of kids. I have done many tanks with my chem class but I want to try it out with these guys.

specs:
20g - 12"x24"
either a T5 HO or a 65W pc
CO2 injected
eco substrate

glosso carpet
taiwan moss wall
maybe flame moss on small horizontal driftwood (if I can find some)
cherry or crystal red shrimp

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And I suppose if you planted each node far enough apart you could cover the state of Florida!:D

Seriously though, it seems to be a somewhat deceptive way of selling these plants isn't it?

I just bought some fissidens; sold as 40 leaves which I found out to be about 1"x1". I am not complaining about it but why not state the coverage in terms that the buyers can clearly understand.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Very true. I used to sell fissidens via the "X # of leaves" too...but now I do what I do for the mosses I sell. The size of the clump after it's been lifted out of the water. Much much easier to tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts