The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I live in a loft apartment and they are not too keen on having fish tanks. Well I got an approval to have a 55 gallon per my acquiring renter's insurance. So I did that and kind of took that to mean that I could get anymore tanks that I wanted. So I know have a 55, 75, 20 acrylic, 20 long, two 10s, and a 4 gallon nano. Well I have my lease renewal coming up this month and for the first time (after two previous renewals) there was a note attached to the renewal form that said we need to schedule an apartment inspection before the renewal is approved. Sigh......

My main hope is that they just wont do it, but that's a long shot. The 75 and 55 are each set up on their own stands, the two 20s and two 10s are all set up on a large multi-shelf rack, and the nano is just sitting on an end table. Just wondering if anybody here has any suggestions as far as excuses or something better I haven't thought of yet. Just taking them down and hiding them is possible, but certainly seems to be a HUGE operation.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Why won't they allow it? Weight constrictions? Smell? Etc. If you have a paticularly beautiful tank show them that first and tell them it's art lol.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why won't they allow it? Weight constrictions? Smell? Etc. If you have a paticularly beautiful tank show them that first and tell them it's art lol.
Haha, yea I hear you. I have to assume it's because of potential water damage issues. I am most likely going to go with the fact that this is a means of support as I breed fish and sell plants. Although anyone in the aquarium game knows this is ALWAYS a losing battle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Read your renter's insurance policy closely. Most of them do not cover any kind of damage to the premises. They usually cover only loss of your possessions. Damage to the premises should be covered by the property owner's own insurance policy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cover them with thick cloths, and put things on top of them like vases. Or you could even build a false wooden/cardboard? frame with fake doors to look like a wardrobe or something..
Stack a sh¡t ton of books in front of them like you're a book hoarder.
Bake cookies as a distraction.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
So I live in a loft apartment and they are not too keen on having fish tanks. Well I got an approval to have a 55 gallon per my acquiring renter's insurance. So I did that and kind of took that to mean that I could get anymore tanks that I wanted. So I know have a 55, 75, 20 acrylic, 20 long, two 10s, and a 4 gallon nano. Well I have my lease renewal coming up this month and for the first time (after two previous renewals) there was a note attached to the renewal form that said we need to schedule an apartment inspection before the renewal is approved. Sigh......

My main hope is that they just wont do it, but that's a long shot. The 75 and 55 are each set up on their own stands, the two 20s and two 10s are all set up on a large multi-shelf rack, and the nano is just sitting on an end table. Just wondering if anybody here has any suggestions as far as excuses or something better I haven't thought of yet. Just taking them down and hiding them is possible, but certainly seems to be a HUGE operation.
Be glad you aren't one of our tenants. This would have had gotten you evicted for violating the lease. :hihi:

Many rentals put it in their leases for structural reasons, insurance reasons (high deductible if you there was major damage) or other personal reasons (like in our instance, the floors in one duplex have hardwood floors/woodwork around 100 years old and we don't allow pets of any kind without approval in order to protect them).

Your best bet is to open the door, welcome them and don't point them out. More likely than not, you'll be fine. These home inspections are normally to look for major damage or disarray (rat's nests). Clean the place well and be friendly. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Honesty is always the best way to go. Clean up your place, be sure the tanks are clean too, inside & out. Be sure there is no oder. Dress nice & be polite and respectful.

All that goes a long way in your favor. Most intelligent property owners want nice respectable people renting. Just don't give them an excuse to be Jerks about it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Also go with sevenyearnight's suggestion. Bakes some cookies. Cookies never hurt anyone. Honesty and cookies. If that doesnt win someone over than I don't know what will. I've never heard of apartments not allowing fishtanks... thats so strange to me lol..

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Just make everything look nice and tidy. If you have a loud filter or any stains, open fish food...fix it. Good luck. Apartment complexes are tricky as far as what they will deal with. It's the lease that is most important. The managers may have their own criteria. Be prepared and know what's what.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I was a property manager in a past life.... I would bet that they'll ask you to take them down or end your lease. Our leases allowed for penalty for this sort of violation too.

The risk to the owner is significant, and I think as renters people often forget this. When you own your home it is different, but when you rent you have to remember that you are essentially living in someone else's home. If you had to ask permission for one tank, you need to ask for the remaining.

You'd be further ahead to tell them up front. THe other thing to remember is that if you are in a rental market, housing references do get checked and if you have to go looking for a new place, a bad reference can make it a challenge.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Take them down and stash them. It's a few hours of hard work, but don't put the inspector in a position where they have to make a judgment call. Guess who wins between you and the name on the bottom corner of their paycheck?

Even if they give you a pass, you are forever compromised having outed yourself as being in (minor) violation of the lease terms.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
slip them a 100...
Haha, true that.

Well I took the heart to heart comments and went ahead and was forthcoming. I called the manager and asked that since I was approved the one big tank, is it OK that I had a few more.

Immediately she was like, "oh yea, sure thing. You have the renter's insurance right? Yea that's no problem at all."

Whew.....perhaps I should just follow the rules in the first place and I wouldn't be putting myself through these stressful situations.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Good for you!

Although I wonder if the landlord is clear on what risk they are taking. Typically a renters insurance policy will only cover limited damages for things like aquariums, jacuzzis, and waterbeds. But thanks to the joy of renting, you don't need to worry about it!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Haha, true that.

Well I took the heart to heart comments and went ahead and was forthcoming. I called the manager and asked that since I was approved the one big tank, is it OK that I had a few more.

Immediately she was like, "oh yea, sure thing. You have the renter's insurance right? Yea that's no problem at all."

Whew.....perhaps I should just follow the rules in the first place and I wouldn't be putting myself through these stressful situations.
Good For you! You know, what you did is 100 x easier than trying to hide things and dealing with the nervousness associated.

A LONG time ago I had an iguana in a "no pets" apartment. They found it and started freaking out. I asked them to come in and take a look and ask how it could harm anything(and i had a HUGE deposit and renters insurance). After they saw how highly i cared for the animal and that the cage was furniture grade, they left it be. I said "your average 2 year old is far more damaging than a dog, let a lone an iguana).

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Good For you! You know, what you did is 100 x easier than trying to hide things and dealing with the nervousness associated.
Yea, not to mention the fact that if there were water damage you'd probably be liable for just about everything as you'll have committed fraud. Water damage is pricey!

·
Nerd Alert.
5,719 Posts
They said this after you introduced them to good 'ol Benjamin Franklin...right? :hihi:

Joking aside, glad you got to keep your tanks and home!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.