The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the substrate in my tank. Before I add the plants back, what can I soak the plants in to kill any snails!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Potassium permanganate or alum salts.

Oh, and BTW there's a Circle City Aquarium Club meeting tonight! Rusty Wessel is going to be talking about his collecting trip to Honduras - should be a great talk! The Garfield Park Conservatory at 7:30 pm if you can make it :)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heard something about using a weak concentration of bleach, but was not sure if that could be done? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Yes, a 20:1 solution for about a minute and then a good rinse with dechlor - but that doesn't always work with snail eggs and it may damage your plants (don't soak the roots if you can help it).

I still say fighting snails is more trouble than it's worth - they aren't hurting anything :hihi:.

You can also try the "pick 'em out when I see 'em" method and after awhile you'll have a lot less.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not hurting anything! Are you serious... Left alone they will take over a tank and some eat plants, which I think is the reason some of my java jern has holes in it. I'd also just like to be able to see my fish and plants not a bunch of snails on the glass!!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Potassium permanganate or alum salts.

Oh, and BTW there's a Circle City Aquarium Club meeting tonight! Rusty Wessel is going to be talking about his collecting trip to Honduras - should be a great talk! The Garfield Park Conservatory at 7:30 pm if you can make it :)
I'd love to go tonight, but I just have too much to do. I graduate tomorrow night, I need to help my parents finish some landscaping before the party Sat., and I need to finish up a scholarship application! I think I will be in Mexico on a mission trip during the next meeting. Maybe I will be able to make the July meeting!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Cool - well maybe we'll see you in July then!

That's a special meeting. Instead of having a speaker, we're doing a swap meet where people can rent tables and sell stuff off them.

(Also, just realized that I'm an idiot. It's the first Thursday of the month and today is the 31st... so yeah... meeting is next week on the 7th - my bad! :icon_redf)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad you are an "idiot" because now I probably will be able to make it! I'm interested in finding out more about the swap thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you get a snail infestation after your tank is set up, just pick up a couple of loaches. They'll take care of 'em in no time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not hurting anything! Are you serious... Left alone they will take over a tank and some eat plants, which I think is the reason some of my java jern has holes in it. I'd also just like to be able to see my fish and plants not a bunch of snails on the glass!!!

I have hundreds of MTS and Ramshorns in my planted tanks. I have never seen them eating on a plant unless it wasn't doing well. If they ate plants my tanks would be a mess. They are great for keeping the tank clear of dead leaves.

I agree seeing them on the glass can be a little annoying but I figure they are eating any GSA that is starting to form and getting rid of it before I have to scrape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts