The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was getting rid of some Salvinia minima, and was wondering how you all get rid of your trimmings, particularly when they may be considered an invasive species.

Dry them out? Nuke them in the microwave?

Given how damaging some plant species can be when introduced to our local ecosystems, what are some good practices that we should adhere to when getting rid of trimmings?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I just throw unwanted plants in the trash to dry out. Guess you could separately bag the plants from the garbage if you are worried about them somehow falling out of the trash while it's transported around.

Otherwise I guess you could dump the trimmings in concentrated Chlorine Bleach or maybe Potassium Permanganate (careful) to kill them, then throw them in the trash.
Dehydrate them in the oven? Boil them? lol, whatever kills them if you want to go that far.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Depending on the plant, isn't there a risk of those plants (invasive) potentially end up growing emersed in the lawn/garden bed? Then perhaps that plant that was thought to be dead, ends up reproducing and spreading to other areas (by whatever means of transportation).

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Depending on the plant, isn't there a risk of those plants (invasive) potentially end up growing emersed in the lawn/garden bed? Then perhaps that plant that was thought to be dead, ends up reproducing and spreading to other areas (by whatever means of transportation).
Emersed plants grow with root's in water and leaves above.
Not likely to sprout from your lawn or garden bed before the root's have dried out, Unless you lawn has standing water on it for long period's .
I also toss some plant's in garbage disposal (duck weed,vals)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I freeze mine for at least 24 hours or nuke them well. If you just toss them in the yard or compost pile birds have an opportunity to transport them to a Waterway. It's always best practice to destroy them first.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I freeze mine for at least 24 hours or nuke them well. If you just toss them in the yard or compost pile birds have an opportunity to transport them to a Waterway. It's always best practice to destroy them first.
Hmm,I wonder why the birds do not take flight with the weed's I toss out on the lawn from flower garden ?
I normally chop up these weed's with the lawnmower when next the yard need's mowing.
I do understand the logic though,for many a pond or lake far removed from nearest waterway is stocked with fish in such a way.
Egg's of fish/frog's/snail's are picked up on the feet of bird's(duck's,geese,) and transported to these otherwise fishless bodies of water.:nerd:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
:p I'm still a newbie to these plant terms/labels. What's are plants that can grow fully submersed, but also grow in "dry" soil (roots not constantly in water)?
Swear I've seen some aquatic plants like Bacopa and some other "aquatic" plants for sale in little pots at places like Home Depot where the plants are sold for gardening.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
A plant that grows on the edges of water may also survive in the garden. Many people over water their garden, and some plants that are willing to grow in or near the water will also grow in average garden water.
Lysmachia nummularia is such a plant.

"Bacopa" as it is labeled in the nurseries is actually a plant with the botanical name Sutura cordata. A spreading perennial with white or purple flowers. I have not seen many true aquatics in places like Home Depot. They have a display of pond plants that go dormant, usually dried up and dead. I have had very little success with them. I did find some Louisiana Iris (Black Gamecock) at Costco.
I usually go to a local store that specializes in pond plants, and a few aquarium stores that carry plants for the tanks. Plus trading with the local aquatic plant club. (SFBAAPS)

The plants we aquatic people call Bacopa are the real Bacopa. This is the genus name of a group of aquatic plants found in many parts of the world. Bacopa caroliniana, for example is found in the eastern USA.

I just toss the plants onto my compost pile, but it is sort of hidden under a tree, I have never seen birds visiting it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

I live in a temperate zone, very large swings in temperature, with a summer with no rain.
In winter it used to rain quite a bit here, but these days, not so much. But the mornings will give a good light frosting to any hardbody tropical survivor and then the afternoon sun will bake it dry. This is Africa!

Strangly enough I have what appears to be alteranthera repens growing as a weed in my flower beds, its a weed, not introduced.

We used to have quite a bit of invasive floating plants, hyacinth water lettuce etc. The duckweed here is the local type with roots though. but this summer I have seen dams that I have never seen dry in all my life dry out completely .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll make sure to destroy everything before tossing out. One of the wonderful things of nature is its tenacity to survive, and I believe that despite the unlikelihood of surviving in some of the situations mentioned, there will still be times that the plant perseveres.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I think somewhere in the future conservation will be different. Species will be moved to new habitats that are at the time similar to the optimum conditions these organisms developed under.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think somewhere in the future conservation will be different. Species will be moved to new habitats that are at the time similar to the optimum conditions these organisms developed under.
While it's likely we would find some success with that, I hope we can find ways to either eliminate/minimize that approach only because it would mean that we are unwilling or unable to coexist with nature to the extent that in order to preserve it, we must take drastic measures to transplant it elsewhere. And even then, it's hard to say what we really lose.

I'm reminded of Amazonas magazine's (great magazine for aquarists, I highly recommend) recent article on the Xingu River dam in Brazil that was recently fully powered on and diverts as much as 80% of the water flow. The area is home to many of the aquarium staples such as plecos we have come to love, and we may never truly know the extent of the damage to the natural ecosystem it is causing. Of course, the situation is not purely negative: the dam will bring reliable power, plumbing and some jobs to the region which will do some to modernize that area. I understand that in underdeveloped areas like that, nature conservancy is probably last on the priority list. Unfortunately, if we keep up that way of thinking, we might suddenly find ourselves in a world that's a lot less interesting...
:crying:

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Great fertilizer once composted. I live in a dense oak forest. Closest body of water is a swamp on private property about a half mile away. Gotta be tough as nails to survive a winter here. If you have a waterway, pond or lake in your back yard you have to do some homework.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I was getting rid of some Salvinia minima, and was wondering how you all get rid of your trimmings, particularly when they may be considered an invasive species.
Dry them out? Nuke them in the microwave?
Given how damaging some plant species can be when introduced to our local ecosystems, what are some good practices that we should adhere to when getting rid of trimmings?
The best way to get rid of trimmings:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/156-wtb-raok/
:smile2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.