The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you get rid of duckweed. I dont how it got into my tank but i reproduces like there is no tomorrow. I'm always netting out but if there is one leaf left it will reproduce again.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That's why it's soooooooooooooo difficult to get rid of. If just one of those lil plants is left in the tank....it will multiply. I just scoop it out myself. I never intentionally introduced it either. It most likely came on some plants. But hey, my shrimp love it. LOL

Sorry, I'm not totally sure how to eliminate duckweed permanently. Only thing I can think of is to get some frogbit?? I think that is the plant??. It's another floater and that should out compete the duckweed for nutrients. Frogbit is larger too so it's much easier to get of once the duckweed is gone.

·
Registered
974 Posts
scooping them out is easy, but getting rid of it is a problem.....almost invariably you'll get some back in a week or so....

I've found if you turn off your filters and scoop out every single piece of duckweed you can get, come back in 15 minutes and scoop out any that 'submerged' from the first round, then do it again in another 15 minutes you can get it to a manageable level. You then have to be anal for a couple of weeks and pull out any piece of duckweed you see every day or every other day.

Wolffia is another story :angryfire

good luck!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
IME, the less you have in there the slower it will multiply. Besides for possibliity of sucking out too many nutriets, it could block too much light from your submersed plants.

Like Hooha said persistence is the key. Remove it every day I used a brine shrimp net. or you can skim the water with a cup. Get it out of your filter strainers, from behind heaters, hunt it down. :angryfire

Thankfully I've never had Wolffia.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You want to get rid of yours and I can't ever keep any in a tank with substantial water current.

Another man's treasure, as they say . . .

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I have a solution that works for me, but probably won't work for most folks: Comet Goldfish. They will eat every last spec. The problem is they eat plants too. For the most part I haven't had to worry about the plant eating part. And then You have to find a home for them once their job is done. For me--I just feed them to my aquatic snakes! Hey, that's what I bought them for to start with! Just adds bang-for-buck! :proud:

·
Registered
766 Posts
I recommend plastic explosives. Nothing short of that seems to have worked.

IME, the less you have in there the slower it will multiply.
Well, sort of. It reproduces at the same rate, there's just less to start with. I believe it doubles about every week. Persistence and consistency are the key. Every week or so, get out all you possibly can. In a few weeks, you'll have it under control, but I bet you'll never get rid of it.

·
Banned
582 Posts
I accidently discovered that apple snails will eat duckweed.

I used apple snails and the scooping-non-stop method. But then, I bought some plants that re-introduced it back to my tank. :mad:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Silver Dollars eat them, but of course they'll eat your plants too. What I have found to be the best passive way of keeping them at bay is high surface water movement. Not agitation to degas the CO2, but just movement. Duckweed like stagnant water.

·
Banned
582 Posts
Silver Dollars eat them, but of course they'll eat your plants too. What I have found to be the best passive way of keeping them at bay is high surface water movement. Not agitation to degas the CO2, but just movement. Duckweed like stagnant water.
Not so in my tank. I have an added powerhead in mine, and the duckweed still covers the top of my tank in just a few weeks if I slack on removing it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I can't keep it alive in my tanks.
my pond has some, but the comets eat it.
try some flow!
and maybe mollies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.