1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys/gals..

I just hooked up my Red Sea Co2 system - 75 gal tank
5# Co2 canister

Everything seems operational.. (except Solenoid - didn't hook it up yet)

I hope to have my plants in the next day or so and once planted I'll start the Co2 while the lights are on..etc..

Im looking for some guidance on proper calibration techniques for the tank.
I believe what I was able to read was 1 bubble per sec will get me at a fairly normal dosage for the tank..

Is that what I should target? Are there any articles that help with this?
Im sorry if this is a question asked a million times.. I couldn't find what I was looking for via normal searches..

tx

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 Coralife 10k daylight bulbs - High output T5 - 54 watts (48in) 2.88 WPG
approx 22-23 inches above sub

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have drop checker and planned on ei method for ferts

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
1 bubble a second is a very arbitrary value. The amount of CO2 from 1 bubble per second in your setup might not be the same as in another person's setup, so it can really only serve as a visual approximation of whether you are injecting more or less CO2 than before.

That being said, 1 bubble per second is usually insufficient for a 75 gallon aquarium.

As mentioned, a drop checker with 4 dkH reference solution is a good estimator. You can also start off your CO2 at (say) 3 bubbles per second, increase from there, while watching your livestock. If doing so, make sure that the changes are slow and across several days.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dark...that is along the lines of what I was looking for. No livestock yet...starting with just plants... Wanted to get the tank stabilized first ...

I wasn't sure if there was some starter method to get going then use drop checker from there.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
That is a good time to experiment with your settings - without fish. If you want to give your plants a little boost you can even up the CO2 a little.

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
As stated, a bubble counter is not a good way to compare your system to other people's. It's a good way to compare changes and have an idea how changes effect your own tank, just not very useful in comparison to others.

A drop checker is a great thing. You will hear from many people that they are not accurate enough, they take to long to change but when you are setting your CO2 up, they are a great tool. Then you can fine tune it by looking at your fish, add a slight amount of CO2 every 24 hours or more, then see how your fish react. Once they are slightly stressed, back off. You may try upping slighly again as some fish take longer than others to acclimate to CO2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts