The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to get hydrocotyle tripartita "Japan" to carpet do you simply hack it down like some stems and wait ?

I have some I'm trying to carpet in high light and the leaves stay stunted (tiny leaves) or seem to die back in some cases and the plant clumps I've planted seem to just bunch up more and form a lot of roots instead of nice leaves and branch out. However, I had some from the same exact stock growing in the same tank under some anubias & java fern on top of a java moss rock (in a lower lit area of the tank) and it looks beautiful & full with nice size leaves.

Thanks & here's a pic of my goal for one of the foreground areas of my tank (it's about 100 PAR where I want it to grow)

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...wp%2Fproduct%2Fhydrocotyle-tripartita;800;556

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't know that my tank is considered high light, maybe medium. But my Japan stays low and compact if I regularly use an aquarium vac...could use your hand or whatever, and press it down towards the substrate. The vac works well because a lot of junk gets caught up in the plant mass. I just press the vac down in sections fairly firmly. I would assume doing this and causing the plant to grow more densely would encourage more lateral growth.

If its new to this tank maybe its just not settled yet either. Mine took a while but now grows like crazy. I've even pulled the whole mat out to trim it and dropped it back in, still grows like crazy lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.