Hello All!

Here's my current setup:

40 Breeder (36x18x17)
Fluorite capped with TMS
Root Tabs
Dry Ferts with EI Dosing + Fe/Mg
Pressurized CO2 using Inline GLA Atomizer

Hagen Glo 2x39 Fixture, 6700K+10000K Zoomed Bulbs

Mostly planted with stems, glosso, blyxa.

I'm trying to get high light over the the entire tank. 2 T5HO bulbs with a shared reflector might give me that directly under it, but I will be losing light in the peripherals.

My thoughts: push the 2x39 fixture of my light-hungry stems in the back and get a 1x39 T5HO (also Hagen Glo) and position it towards the front such that the two are 10-12" apart. My obvious concern is if this is simply too much light, period, or will this put be firm in high light over the entire substrate.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i think that will be to much, i have my 40b set up with 2 fixtures containing 2xT5NO sitting on the rim, and i get perfect coverage imo.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should add that my lights would be mounted about 4" off the tank, with only 2-2.5 inches of substrate. From Hoppy's chart, I gather that that would be an even distribution of medium light using T5NOs.

I should also add that some of the plants that I plan on adding are fairly light demanding.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Very few plants demand more than 40-50 micromols of PAR, but they usually need good CO2 to grow at that light level. But, if you contemplate using high light, you are accepting that you need very good CO2, so you will already have the CO2 ready anyway.

You can get 40-50 micromols of PAR from a 2 bulb Hagen GLO light with the fixture around 25-30 inches above the substrate. And at that distance you should have pretty even lighting in the tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While many/most plants will grow under those conditions, will plants with more striking colors (Limnophila aromatica, etc) be able to grow to their full glory in that light? I was under the impression that it took fairly high light to bring out their colors, coupled with proper ferts (controled nitrate, supplemental iron) of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts