The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all -
I've been trying without success for about two years to get dwarf baby tears to root.

I have a 36 gallon bowfront tank with CO2 injection and strong lighting (a dual-tube T5 fixture plus an LED fixture, T5 has a Geismann Superflora and a Geismann tropic tube). The substrate is a mix of gravel plus ADA Aqua Amazonia soil.

My baby tears are growing really nicely BUT i can't get them to root in the substrate. I've tried a number of things: I've tied them to a few large flat rocks, small pieces of driftwood. I've tried weighting them down with plant weights (non-lead) in the hopes that they'd send out runners and attach themselves to the gravel. I've tried doing that and then sprinkling a little soil on top and hoping that they'd take the hint.

After some number of weeks or a couple months, they come loose and all end up at the top of the tank again. They look lovely up there, they grow well in the light. To be sure, they appear to be doing just fine on the bottom, they just don't *root*.

How in the world do people get nice carpets of dwarf baby tears? What should I try next?

·
Registered
655 Posts
They don't ever root amazingly well even with a dry start as they are meant to be floating in the wild from what I've read.

The only thing you can do is to make sure they are trimmed often so they dont float up.

·
Super Moderator
12,041 Posts
HC carpets take quite a bit of maintenance; if they float up after a few weeks to a month, it's not that unusual. The bottom part of the carpet dies off due to insufficient light, causing the entire top part to just float to the surface.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what's the best approach here, even to maintain a carpet with lots of maintenance? What I've been doing (weighting clumps down with plant weight strips) seems impractical on that scale (and is *visible*). I can't believe people are tying down whole carpets. Those lovely pics of lush HC carpets, are they just staged? I can't get my HC to root *at* *all*. I'd put the maintenance into it, but I can't figure out how to even make *any* progress here.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I said they don't root amazingly well and will float if not constantly trimmed. They also need what feels like excessive co2 because again, they naturally sit above the surface and get plenty of co2 that way.

Did your dry start not work well? I would never attempt baby tears outside of dry start.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When I planted mine, I sprinkled some gravel and sand over top to weigh them down until they had a chance to root.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts