The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my setup is very basic but there has to be something i can do to get crystal clear water, right? i just have a marineland HOB bio wheel filter.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I use zoomed 501 for all my tank. Small and very nice! Other canister are great but the size of the zoomed 501 just so great!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The Zoo Med 501 is an amazing filter. I have one on my 5G and I'm not complaining one bit about making that purchase.

It all depends what size tank you have as to which canister filter would work for your set up

·
Registered
223 Posts
Before I got my fx5 I've used Marineland hob's and never had a problem getting crystal clear water. If it's a brand new setup give it a month to do everything chemically it needs to get done and it should be clear in no time.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Before I got my fx5 I've used Marineland hob's and never had a problem getting crystal clear water. If it's a brand new setup give it a month to do everything chemically it needs to get done and it should be clear in no time.
tank age does have a lot to do with this

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
815 Posts
And the quietness of the canister filters cannot be beat, total silent setup. Canister filters are the best investment for a fish tank, besides fishies of course.

·
Registered
548 Posts
tank age does have a lot to do with this
1. Tank age is correct
2. Canisters as a generalization have less blow-by of debris. However not all canisters and HOB's are created equal. I have found Aqua Clear's to work as well as a lot of canisters.
Purigen, or adding a tiny pinch of montmorillonite clay at every water change
3. Purigen is Great Stuff! Would like to know more about montorillonite clay???

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
any filter with a well established bio filter will give u the water u desire
polishig pads, chemical filtration do nothing if u keep up on ur water changes
they only remove particles that u mostly don't see
chemical filtration as far as water polising goes. is only good if u have discoloration due to tannins, overfeeding, or medications
again. water changes will do the most for having clear water with good bio filtration
i have a 1/8 inch thick loose LOOSE woven mechanical pad followed by all bio filraition. water stays pristinely clear

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
And the quietness of the canister filters cannot be beat, total silent setup. Canister filters are the best investment for a fish tank, besides fishies of course.
My best investment are my plants actually. I am going for a competition caliber setup with my current build. My fish will be secondary this go around. I was able to catch a canister sale at bigals. So I too have switched over from HOB to canister filtration. My 2213's are silent and that is awesome compared to my old Aqalear 300s. I can't exactly say its crystal clear though. But my tank is open top and glass at that. Opinions will vary as you see. You will just have to find what works for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts