The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading that raising clownfish outside in sunlight makes them develop a much nicer orange color. I also remember having guppies one summer in a pond and they developed really nice color.

I have a greenhouse that is temperature controlled, it always stays between 50F (low at night) and 84F (high in day during summer)... Would raising some fry out there in a small tank with lots of floating stem plants be beneficial and help them develop brighter, stronger colors?

Has anyone had experience with guppies and raising them outside in the sun?

EDIT: I'd probably just stick a 2.5 gallon bare-bottom out there with lots and lots of floating stem plants (like guppy grass) and duck weed and stuff.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Haven't you tried this already? How did it work last time? I thought I remembered an old thread about you having fish in the greenhouse. To get my gups to have great color I feed them new life spectrum or kens flakes. Keep the water quality good and keep temps stable in a well planted established tank.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Years ago I put guppies and platies outside in a whiskey barrel full of plants for the summer. That summer they bred like crazy and I had the biggest most colorful guppies and platies I ever had. Besides eating all the plant and algae in the barrel, they ate all the bugs and other little living things that grew or fell in that barrel.
But it was too difficult for me to get them out in the fall so I never did it again.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Quality foods is going to play a huge part in color. After I changed to better food the colors in my Endler colony really improved...not that I thought they where bad before but wow what a difference. I also offer some live foods and different freeze dried. Keeping fish outside would have a similar affect because live food would make its way into the container. Mosquito larva, etc...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I think the diet is the driving factor, not the lighting. If you want to get better color in your tank changing light spectrums can bring out different colors that you didn't know they had. Mine look incredible under 10000k LED.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What live foods would be easy to culture for them indoors? I found brine shrimp tricky and they took too much time. Are there any that would be pretty easy?

·
Registered
789 Posts
My dad got me started on micro worms...super easy but not to be used as a staple. I offer them a couple times a week and they are devoured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts