The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have 3 reef tanks, but it's time to back to my roots. i,m going to redo my 75 back to a planted guppy tank.for lighting i have a 6x54watt t-5 ho light system, i guess i need new bulbs, so what k's am i looking for. i,m figuring on a hang on 400 type filter. i would prefer NOT to use a co2 system. i also plan on laterite mixed into the bed. so.i,d like input, whats wrong with this picture, if anything? thanks for looking

·
Registered
199 Posts
welcome back... :) u'd want around 6500K lighting for your FW setup. and since u'r not planning on using CO2 (for now @least), stick to 2 54w bulbs. that'll make it about a mid+ light tank. there's a lot of info on lighting section.

IMO, CO2 is something most eventually turns to (lol). so if u do later on, u can just add on more bulbs, and start dosing fert. g'luck man... :biggrin:

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Even 2x54 watts over your tank is pretty high light for a planted tank. It's what I run over my own 90gal (also no CO2), and I have to be super careful to avoid algae. I'm down to about a 6 hour photoperiod now.

You might try raising the fixture up off the tank and/or incorporating some floating plants for light control.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the light is hanging. any height i want. the 75 is the same depth as the 90.imo the tank looks dark with only 2 bulbs lit. i guess i think i need all the light. i want lots of val growing

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
the light is hanging. any height i want. the 75 is the same depth as the 90.imo the tank looks dark with only 2 bulbs lit. i guess i think i need all the light. i want lots of val growing
If you've got a standard 75gal it's 6" shorter than a 90gal, they have the same footprint. But since you've got a hanging fixture you should be able to adjust till you find the "sweet spot."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.