The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I was doing planted tanks in the past, last tanks being a 60p and Mini M, but life happened, and after getting married, purchasing an apartment, work, etc. (no kids yet), had to shut down the tanks.

Fast forward 5-6 years later (about a month ago), my friend sends me a link to a kickstarter. It was for the Ecoqube. I thought, what the hell, 1 gallon no hassle tank, why not.

Little did I know what was to come lol.

Once I started fiddling with the Ecoqube, I had gotten bitten by the planted tank once again.

So, I start doing some research, and since I got rid of all my tanks/equipment, I thought about doing a 60P again. Then I decided I wanted to go bigger, so I thought about the 90P.
But still, I wanted to go bigger, but a 120P was just out of the question. Price is a little too high for me to warrant the tank, and since I'm in Hawaii, it would take forever to even order and get one in. Not to mention the cost of a custom made stand (I live in an apartment now, no DIY stands).

After heavy consideration, I decided on a 75g.

This is a decision I'm not sure I'll regret.
When I first got the 60P all those years ago, I vowed never to get a tank that was not ADA. i had forgotten that self-promise along with a few others, but after setting up the 75g, I definitely miss the clean look and quality of ADA tanks.

Anyways, I bought the tank and stand, just the standard 75g with the standard stand. I figured I'll start a tank journal to not only get advice from others, but also as a method to keep notes to myself.
I was away form this forum for 6 years, but when I came back and read through my old journal, i realized how informative it is to my current self, so this will also serve that purpose.

Anyways, tank has been running for about 3 weeks now, been planted for about 2. Currently in the nitrite spike phase, but just tested with results lower compared to the past few days, so I'm hoping it ends within this week.

Equipment:

75G

Standard black stand

Finnex 24/7 Planted + x 2 (I started with 1, but it seemed a little weak, so I purchased a 2nd. Yet to see if this is too much light or not, just got the second light today, will be running 1 at MAX for 8 hours, and 1 in the 24 hour cycle)

Fluval FX6 (swapped out the intake with the Eheim intake because its smaller and less intrusive)

Eheim Surface Skimmer

Koralia 425

Twinstar Nano + (been running it for 2 weeks, not sure if it's doing much, but haven't seen any algae yet)

10LB CO2 with Milwaukee regulator

ADA Aquasoil

Dosing with Pfertz (I know it's really old, but I still have gallons of the stuff left. Just started dosing yesterday @ 5 pumps for M and K, no N and P yet)

Hardscape:

My goal for this tank was to do less trimming. Last few tanks required heavy weekly trimming, this one, I want slower growing plants that require less trimming. I would add a plant list, but I can't remember all the names, but if anyone is interested in anything specific, I can try to figure it out. Because I want to do the least amount of trimming possible, I went with Parva as my foreground, which will take forever to fill in, but will never require trimming.

2/4/16 - day 1 after planting (1 finnex 24/7 planted +)

Pardon all the bubbles, just changed water and all of the equipment are on. Looks like dirty glass, but it's all bubbles.

2/15/16 - day 11 (2 finnex 24/7 planted +)

The bubbles are really stating to bother me. I might switch to an inline reactor or something. Never had any experience with those though.

Just waiting on things to grow in.
Probably add a few more stems in the back corners as well.
Hoping I can add some fish this weekend.

Thanks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greggz.

I'm thinking of more of a variety of nano fish.

Some scarlet badis, cockatoos, CPDs, bumblebee goby, some killifish, and I'm going to try my all time favorite fish, pea puffers.

I know it's a hit or miss with pea puffers in a community tank, but they are both my wife and I's favorite fish, and the LFS has pea puffers in almost all of their community tanks with success, so hoping i will be as lucky.

I have about 30 shrimp and a bunch of snails in there now to try to get the population up as a source of food for the fish.

I'm also going to try to not get a pair of cockatoos because i don't want them breeding and getting aggressive.

I may add a school of Chili Rasboras as well.

I just want to have many varieties since I always had smaller tanks and was restricted as far as bioload (and therefore species).

We're pretty lucky in Hawaii since we have a really good LFS that brings in a whole bunch of quality plants and fish, and are authorized dealers of ADA. The owner even went to Japan to train with Mr. Amano himself while he was still alive (RIP).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doogy, you had to DIY that correct? I'm looking at different reactors, not sure which one I should go with.

I'm looking at the ISTA Max Mix, CarbonDoser EXT5000, and Sera 1000.

Are you familiar with any of the store bough reactors? If so, any recommendations?

I'm assuming I should get a separate canister filter or pump for the reactor as well (rather than running it through my FX6).

The bubbles really are killing me, and less refills on the C02 tank due to better diffusion would be a bonus.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Doogy, you had to DIY that correct? I'm looking at different reactors, not sure which one I should go with.

I'm looking at the ISTA Max Mix, CarbonDoser EXT5000, and Sera 1000.

Are you familiar with any of the store bough reactors? If so, any recommendations?

I'm assuming I should get a separate canister filter or pump for the reactor as well (rather than running it through my FX6).

The bubbles really are killing me, and less refills on the C02 tank due to better diffusion would be a bonus.

Thanks
I would just build a reactor, the Rex grigg style ones are simple enough, and work well. They just have water go in the top, and out the bottom, with co2 injected into the PVC tube near the top, the water will mash the co2 until it dissolves. Make it as alrge as you can (24"is a good size) , and I would personally run it through a separate pump or canister, as I notice a large decrease in flow after adding my reactor. There are also no bubbles, that was what sold me on DIYing a reactor

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would just build a reactor, the Rex grigg style ones are simple enough, and work well. They just have water go in the top, and out the bottom, with co2 injected into the PVC tube near the top, the water will mash the co2 until it dissolves. Make it as alrge as you can (24"is a good size) , and I would personally run it through a separate pump or canister, as I notice a large decrease in flow after adding my reactor. There are also no bubbles, that was what sold me on DIYing a reactor
Yea, I've been looking at a lot of the DYI reactors, I just really don't trust myself in making one lol. Idk, seems like the DYI ones are the best though, maybe I'll try it one of these days. Would you mind making one for a price?? :smile2:

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Nice!

I did more so like the hardscape set up in the first pic (in particular the driftwood, front left main upper piece, how the curve of the driftwood hooks around over the top, rather than under the bottom). The first pic to me, had a very nice appearance that looked like a Cove (not really the word I'm looking for) to Paradise Valley :) You know, how the DW encircles the center like a ceiling-less cave entrance (arches). And I liked how the middle area looked "dug-in" (crater) in the first pic rather than the middle area just being flat/leveled. That's just what I preferred though and I'm no aquascaper haha. Still a nice tank.

Regarding co2 reactors, there is the Rex Griggs style and Cerges style reactors. Both styles are great, I just like Cerges a bit more. Definitely the way to go if you don't like seeing micro bubbles everywhere.

I know nilocG will make the Rex Griggs reactors for people. Prices are fair, and you can customize it, just ask him what options and you decide if you want to pay a bit more for added features. Some look really professional (store bought-looking, doesn't look DIY). Just give him info on your tank set up, co2 set up, filter (GPH) and he can come up with one that works. I myself prefer to get/build a little larger (if you can fit it under your stand or whatnot) than necessary just to be extra sure no undissolved co2 bubbles escape into the aquarium.
But I am sure many people could make one for you. Although I'd only advise working with people that really have the knowledge and know how to build one.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yea, I've been looking at a lot of the DYI reactors, I just really don't trust myself in making one lol. Idk, seems like the DYI ones are the best though, maybe I'll try it one of these days. Would you mind making one for a price?? :smile2:
What @WaterLife said, I have only made one, so I recommend someone like nilocg, he offered to build me one a while back, and I know that people have bought from him. My reactor was a slight disaster at first personally, it leaked and almost flooded my room.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.

yea, I liked the original hardscape better as well, but I didnt secure it well enough into the gravel, so after wrapping it with plants and doing daily water changes (and the python hitting the wood and stuff), the wood started moving around a bit.

I'll try to get it back to what it was before, kind of hard now though with all of the plants planted and starting to get established around the wood.

I'll contact nilocg, thanks for the info!

caique, which reactor did you go with? I see a few different brands on the site.

Good news is, tested nitrite yesterday and was down to about .25
Hoping it'll finish cycling by this weekend so i can start stocking it with fish.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I'm thinking of more of a variety of nano fish.

Some scarlet badis, cockatoos, CPDs, bumblebee goby, some killifish, and I'm going to try my all time favorite fish, pea puffers...

I have about 30 shrimp and a bunch of snails in there now to try to get the population up as a source of food for the fish.

I'm also going to try to not get a pair of cockatoos because i don't want them breeding and getting aggressive.

I may add a school of Chili Rasboras as well.
Yeah the stocking looks a bit iffy.

By cockatoos I assume you mean Apistogramma cacatuoides.

The shrimp colony would most likely get decimated in no time. Good chance even the adult shrimps will be demolished (especially from the larger Apistos).

Chili Rasboras and CPDs are good peaceful fish.

Bumblebee gobies and puffers can be fin nippers. Some bublebee goby species are more suited toward brackish, but some are freshwater (info how to identify which species online).

Most Killifish species can work in a community tank. Some species can be pretty territorial and mean. Males can squabble a bit so I'd limit the amount of males. Some are annual, some are non-annual. Not advised to mix species of the same genus. Do note that killifish are natural jumpers so keep a tight fitting lid on.

Badis/Dario mainly keep to themselves, but are skilled shrimp hunters. CPDs can be too (shrimplets). And so can killifish. Same for BB gobies and puffers (with puffers also liking snails).

I've never really seen a stocking combination quite like this so I am not really sure how they will all get along. 75 gallon is a lot of room for the little guys so issues should be dwarfed by the amount of space. But if troubles arise, I assume Badis, killifish, BB gobies, and puffers may tussle once in a while. Apisto and killi might get into it. Apisto with it having the biggest fins, might get nipped at on some occasions. Chili rasboras and CPD are fast enough swimmers to avoid trouble, but if some get territorial they might get chased away. Just not exactly the most peaceful community right there, but should still be doable. With the relatively large amount of room, they will probably coexist just fine (except the shrimp outlook doesn't look too good).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the stocking looks a bit iffy.

By cockatoos I assume you mean Apistogramma cacatuoides.

The shrimp colony would most likely get decimated in no time. Good chance even the adult shrimps will be demolished (especially from the larger Apistos).

Chili Rasboras and CPDs are good peaceful fish.

Bumblebee gobies and puffers can be fin nippers. Some bublebee goby species are more suited toward brackish, but some are freshwater (info how to identify which species online).

Most Killifish species can work in a community tank. Some species can be pretty territorial and mean. Males can squabble a bit so I'd limit the amount of males. Some are annual, some are non-annual. Not advised to mix species of the same genus. Do note that killifish are natural jumpers so keep a tight fitting lid on.

Badis/Dario mainly keep to themselves, but are skilled shrimp hunters. CPDs can be too (shrimplets). And so can killifish. Same for BB gobies and puffers (with puffers also liking snails).

I've never really seen a stocking combination quite like this so I am not really sure how they will all get along. 75 gallon is a lot of room for the little guys so issues should be dwarfed by the amount of space. But if troubles arise, I assume Badis, killifish, BB gobies, and puffers may tussle once in a while. Apisto and killi might get into it. Apisto with it having the biggest fins, might get nipped at on some occasions. Chili rasboras and CPD are fast enough swimmers to avoid trouble, but if some get territorial they might get chased away. Just not exactly the most peaceful community right there, but should still be doable. With the relatively large amount of room, they will probably coexist just fine (except the shrimp outlook doesn't look too good).
Yea, the shrimp/snails are there for food, so I just wanted to get them to start reproducing to have a good amount of food for the fish to hunt. Its just the cheap 10 shrimp for $1 kind of shrimp (for food).

thinking against the pea puffer, and going with an amazon puffer instead. my LFS has some in stock right now, and they don't come by often, so think that would be good.

and yes, referring to apistos. not sure which yet, but would like to get some kind of apistos.

also probably be adding rummy noses instead of rasboras.
and not sure of the killifish, but def not an annual one. I really like the clowns, but yeap, learned the hard way about them being extremely jumpy in my 60p =(

I know it's a weird stocking list lol
I just want to have as many small species that I always wanted, but never could due to smaller tanks. hoping it all works out, or i may end up having multiple tank syndrome again...

Going to be picking up some algae eaters today!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And we have some fish.

7 rummy nose (lost 2 in transit from LFS to home)
5 SAE (lost 1 in transit)
2 licorice gourami
1 rainbow badis
1 butterfly loach

Everything is settling in, will take photos once they calm down a bit.

Still need to pick up:
a few pairs of apistos
amazon puffer (or pea puffer if i'm feeling adventurous)
more rummy's. Want to get at least a dozen
Otos

Hoping everything will make it!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Everything starting to settle in, some pix

Anyone know what deficiency is causing this?

Some tank shots.

I ordered the CO2 reactor, looking forward to bubble-less water.
Well, of course aside from the twinstar

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Added more fish today.
This will probably complete my fish list, aside from getting a few more rummy's.

pair of agassizii double red
pair of gertrudae rainbow
5 oto
3 diamond tetra
amazon puffer

Total list:
pair of agassizii double red
pair of gertrudae rainbow
5 oto
3 diamond tetra
1 amazon puffer
7 CPD
6 Rummy
4 SAE
2 licorice gourami
1 rainbow badis
1 Butterfly loach

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First major trim today.

Fishes doing well so far, but not having a really hard time getting food to the CPDs and apistos. Not sure if they've been eating anything, but I do know that 30 feeder shrimp was gone in less than a week, so I guess I'll just keep buying shrimp for now and hope the fish that don't get to the pellets get the shrimp.

Starting to see some algae.
Not sure if its still part of the new tank syndrome or addition of 2nd light. 2nd light is only on 24/7 mode, so full burst of both lights are only for a few hours. Will have to wait and continue to see what happens.

Lots of algae especially on the CO2 diffuser ceramic disk and twinstar nano, both being white, so I guess that would be why.
Pretty funny that algae is growing on the twinstar though, since it's supposed to rid algae lol.

CO2 Reactor being made, there was a slight issue with a part needing to be ordered, so a little delay, but expecting it to be shipped out early next week.

Unfortunately gotta go out of town for business for a week, hoping my wife will be able to keep everything under control.
You guys know how that goes...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.