The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a fixture to hold some LED's and now that I've got everything hung from the ceiling, the power cord for the LED driver wants to pull the fixture to one side. (I have the driver mounted inside the fixture)

I'm still in the stage of working out the kinks, so not much is 100% set in stone yet, but how can I get this power cord out of the way, and not have an effect on the way the lights hang?

I hope to use a grommet though either the side, or in the back middle to run the power cord though to help clean the look up. But I can see issues with the weight of the cord pulling it either way.

Here are a few photo's to maybe help someone see more what I'm talking about.

Over all fixture length is 18"

The driver and power cord as it sits now

I'm just using some swag hooks and 1/16" cable to hang it, but spent 30 minutes measuring and re-measuring to make sure I got it right the first time. And without the driver, it hangs just fine. That's what makes this even more aggravating. I can get the power cord to sit in a way on the tank that it makes the lights look right, but I didn't really want to have to do it that way.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Bring the cord up the cable to the hook. I ran into the same issue. It looks cleaner with the cord going up as well. I have to run the cords along the ceiling to the wall and down but am using cable cover painted the color of the wall. Should be better looking once I finally get that done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ugh, that makes perfect sense cggorman. Using 4 attachment points never once occurred to me. I've already got this far, and to make it look decent that would require me making an entire new top and I'm not up for that. Plus I've got 2 attachment points in the ceiling already, and wanting to stick with as minimalistic as possible. I will look into adding some counter weights though.

Thanks Kathy, but my cord isn't long enough to go up to the hooks and then snake around to an outlet. I don't think my wife would like for me to put an outlet in the ceiling just for my light for the 5 gallon lol.

I didn't order any optics for my LED's when I ordered them, and now I could use them to get the light as high above the tank as I want it, so I will wait till I get those in and the light at a height I like then figure out a way to add a counter weight on the front. Or I may just give up and try to let the power cord keep it in the right place.

Thank you both for the ideas!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I wonder if you could run your cord to the middle of the fixture and through (as I think you considered) and counterweight it on the opposite side of the middle. That should eliminate side to side weight problems and if you get the weighting right, the front to back tipping as well. Might be more work than it's worth though, of course.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just pick up some clay from the local art store. Add weight where necessary to make it balanced. When you do that, make sure no fans or anything are blowing that may change the way it balances. It'll take 20 minutes (if you drink a beer, balance, take a break, crack another beer, and re-balance) and about 12 to 15 dollars to buy the clay. Stick the clay in places you won't be able to see (when looking at the aquarium from normal viewing height/distance) Once it dries, brush it with a little poly to ensure there is more bonding it to the metal then just the clay itself.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't have an answer for your question, but that fixture is sweet! Do you have a thread that shows how you built it? I'd love to make one like it for my next tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for all the suggestions folks!

jason - that's exactly what I'm thinking I'm going to do today. (This is the end of a weeks holiday, so time to do something useful other than lay hardwood floor lol) I may run to Radioshack and get some DC power plugs so I can have an easier time plugging up and un plugging everything, and put the driver external and have the DC plug in the middle back of the fixture. I know what I'm trying to say, just can't quite say it without poorly drawn pictures heh. I'll put up photo's when I'm done.

Thanks again Kathy, at this point I need all the ideas I can!

moonshinetheslacker, that's a great idea! I'm going to fix and clean up my wiring and see what all I need to do from there. Once I get rid of the large power cord going to the driver that may almost fix it, but if not I'm going to keep this in mind.

Taari thank you! I do not have a thread showing how I built it, but I bought everything (except the led's and heatsink) from Lowes. Took just a few hours to cobble together. I may put one up with some more photo's while the kiddo is still sleaping.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I removed the driver from the fixture, and added a DC plug to the back to easily plug and unplug the driver leads. This also allowed me to use a smaller gauge wire that goes to the fixture and now my side to side tilt is gone!

But, now it's more heavy in the back and tilts back. :) It doesn't tilt enough to throw off the lights from where I want them, and not near as noticeable to the eye that the fixture is off. So when I can I'll do the clay trick and get it balanced out front to back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts