The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly sure if this is the right place to post this, but anyways I'm going to start off by introducing myself. I'm Josh and I'm just getting back into making a new tank after not having one for four years, although I never really started off with aquariums in the first place.

Basically misinformation and a few bad decisions ruined my early days of fish-keeping and led to a four year stay in the attic for my tank. Well recently I noticed it up there and started thinking about having a tank again. I figured now is as good a time as any to start again and I feel I learned a lot about what not to do from my first attempt and I plan on not repeating the same mistakes twice.

I more or less am making this post to run some ideas by you guys and see what you think, as well as get some advice on what to do. I like the looks of the iwagumi style aquariums and I have some pretty good rocks left over that would look great in one of those aquariums. I was wondering what might be the best plant for a foreground plant and background. I was thinking of either HC or dwarf hairgrass for the foreground and that japonica stuff (forgot name, it's been a long time) for the background.

For fish I was thinking maybe rummynose tetras or harlequin rasboras. From what I remember rummynose might be just a bit hard to keep for a semi-beginner though. I was also wondering about lighting for the plants I mentioned and whether or not CO2 is something I should look into. Also is a 20-23 gallon aquarium big enough for an iwagumi aquarium?

I really don't know what I should be asking so any advice is greatly appreciated. Man that was a lot longer post than I intended it to be. Anyways thanks for any help y'all can give. I appreciate it.

P.S. I'm half-asleep typin this so if anything doesn't make sense just ask me to clarify.

·
Registered
513 Posts
First and foremost, welcome back to the hobby. Second, your tank is plenty of space for an Iwagumi style tank. I don't believe they're space requirements for any scaping styles. If you would like to grow HC then you will most Likely need high lighting and CO2 ( I've heard it's a CO2 hog). Although it can be grown without any CO2 or High lighting, the outcomes vary. You could get really slow growth where the stems are long and skinny.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I know you had a bad experience with a tank the first go around, but there's enough resources out there on this site and google that can be found by doing a little research first.

I recommend searching and reading as much information about starting a planted tank that you can, then coming back and using the other forums on this site to ask specific questions.

When I was starting out, which wasn't all that long ago, I purchased a copy of the planted tank guide on this site: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/PlantedTankGuide.html

I still find myself referencing it today.

Remember - when it comes to tanks start out by planting heavily and stocking lightly. Take everything slow, learn as you go, read and read some more, and you'll do fine.

While you're at it, look into fishless cycling. I've done in it the past with good results.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts