The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds a bit silly but I'm trying to make up my mind about upgrading to a slightly bigger thank, only 10g bigger than what I currently have (from 50g to 60g).

Nothing wrong with the old one which isn't even that old, but I keep telling myself that the extra 60g will make the tank feel much bigger.

Are there things to consider when going a step bigger? The larger tank the more maintenance I guess? I think the equipment I have would be fine so shouldn't have to upgrade anything else (Fluval G6 should cope with the bigger size).

It's so easy to get fanatical about this hobby and I'm worried it's just a waste of money and the tank I have will never feel big enough!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I would go to a 75 or 90 gallon, ideally a 125. I don't think you will see much difference going to the 60.
When in doubt, go big or go home.
These thoughts come to mind for me as well but they were already said. That being said, Should you deside to go the 60G route you will be kicking yourself this time next year, asking yourself, 'why didn't you go the 125G.'

Overall we tank lover can be a little obessive with our tanks its an incurable disease called MTS ... these are not those cute work horse snails either ... Multiple Tank Syndrom.

I think all of your current equipment will be just fine going just 10G bigger. But I really would n't unless I planned to go really big.

Just my $1.25 ... inflation ... :eek:

BEst wishes,
Wes

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Just buy another tank and have both setup. Then another. Then another. Then another.

Eventually you will end up like me with fish tanks stacked up and no idea what to do with them.

But seriously, I wouldnt upgrade if it was just a 10 gallon gain. Is your 50 gallon a breeder? If so, I think that is the perfect size tank for a planted aquarium--just my opinion. Its got the footprint of a 40B with a little added height and water volume. It is also thicker glass and has a top brace--which can be a plus or a minus, depending on who you ask.

If you are going to upgrade to a larger tank, do it right---go 100+ gallons so you feel like you upgraded. 60 from a 50 will seem so similar you might be disappointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I base my upgrade choices on what will fit my tank interior needs, or if there is a feature that makes life better, such as built in overflow box, predrillings, etc, and then what fits the space the household CEO will allow me to put it in.
My next tank that I build will only be a small upgrade in gallons, but will have a more pleasing look to it. I'll be going more cube than the rectangle that I currently have, and be built it out of thicker acrylic (because I like the look), and larger radius corners (again, because I like the look)
So if the 60 is cooler looking than the 50....do it! But I don't belive that 10 gallons will change your maintenance levels, or put that much more strain on the equipment you already have.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You come to a forum with people who run tanks like this and ask them if you should get a bigger tank? What were you expecting them to say?

Methinks you were already planning on getting a bigger tank and just wanted emotional support :icon_mrgr

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I like the tank that fits best in the spot. My 5' tank looked small on the 10' wall so now there is an 8' tank on the wall!

I also couldn't stand the framed look with black silicone and frame when the tank is the center of the wall and wanted acrylic with no such outline. Rimless or euro braced would have been fine but acrylic is clearer than glass and much lighter. And found on CL for an irresistible price.

I was also very annoyed by the height of the previous stand, it was just a few inches too short and I couldn't see the lower part of the tank over the back of the sofa. If the new tank means a new stand then you could fix that issue.

If the depth of your tank is driving you nuts because you want a couple more inches so you can have more layers of planting then maybe.

If you think a couple more inches of height will make a difference, doubt it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds a bit silly but I'm trying to make up my mind about upgrading to a slightly bigger thank, only 10g bigger than what I currently have (from 50g to 60g).

Nothing wrong with the old one which isn't even that old, but I keep telling myself that the extra 60g will make the tank feel much bigger.

Are there things to consider when going a step bigger? The larger tank the more maintenance I guess? I think the equipment I have would be fine so shouldn't have to upgrade anything else (Fluval G6 should cope with the bigger size).

It's so easy to get fanatical about this hobby and I'm worried it's just a waste of money and the tank I have will never feel big enough!
If you're going to go bigger I'd go with at least a 75 gallon. It has a nicer footprint to work with.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My suggestion before upgrading, think about what aspect you enjoy most about planted tanks. If you're always changing your scape, it might make sense to get a 2nd tank and keep them smaller in size. (less expensive and quicker to rescape) If you want one showcase aquarium, or large fish or schools of fish, one big tank probably makes the most sense.

Never underestimate the added maintenance of going big. Trimming is the big time suck, but even things like cleaning the glass or water changes begin to add up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.