The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start this thread because I have found a love for German Blue Rams. I have also heard that the GBR is a hard fish to keep, let alone breed. I purchased my new GBR's as my anniversary gift this week. I did not do a drip acclimation like some recommend. I drained most of the Fish Store water off hung the bag in the tank and added my tank water periodically for about an hour. I know some fish don't need as much time but I felt since they were GBR's I would allow an hour. I drained the bag and added the fish. After an hour I fed the tank, the GBR's took to feeding right away. The next day they were exploring the tank and ate just as readily. My PH stays at a steady 6.8 and my Ammonia is zero. The tank is well planted and has a yeast/sugar CO2 set-up. So far my GBr are doing well, they even will come to see me at the glass if i sit in front of the tank. They must be taking notes from my Clown Loach Curious George, he likes to beg at feeding time. I am a bit cautious as I have not done a water change since adding them so we shall see what happens next week. Hopefully other can share their GBR stories here, any tips will help as well. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
iv had a pair of gbr for about 3 months almost and i love them. from my experience they are pretty easy to keep. i acclimated them same as you but i leave the bag out of my tank.. a trick to get them to spawn is to raise the temp slowly like 1 degree a day to about 85 degrees. and after slowly bring the temp back down.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I have one GBR in my 29, and introduced him the same way. These guys are hardier than most think, especially if you can get them from good stock. I only got one because I am pushing the stocking limits of my tank as it is. I keep up with water changes and cleaning, and I have 2 filters going.

I felt comfortable getting one because I read that dither fish will bring out their personality. I have a school of 9 black skirts (well one is actually and electric green, because the wife wanted him), and my GBR actually schools with them! I find it totally weird but hey, it works. GBR's are an awesome looking fish, and I couldn't be happier with this guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I added 2 GBR and 2 EBR to my tank 3weeks ago. I however did the drip acclimation for about an hour and a half. They are doing well I and find these guys personalities amazing. I even have ghost shrimp in the tank and they dont get bothered by the rams at all. I have yet to see the difficult side to caring for them. Just hope I can say the same as the months go by.

·
Ram Breeder
76 Posts
As was already stated, Rams are a lot hardier than most people give them credit for. Their main drawback is that they are not as long-lived as most other aquarium fish (around 3 years). The biggest challenge is not in getting them to spawn (they're like the rabbits of the fish world). It's getting the parents to raise their own fry.

·
Registered
299 Posts
keep an eye on your water quality and stay up with your wc's and you should be good to go...i agree that they breed like rabbits.

buy good stock...check their breathing in the dealer tanks before purchasing. If they are breathing rapidly, they got gill flukes and have weakened immune systems. couple that with a move from dealer to home and the added stress makes them prone to getting other infections...and the dread white poop will do them in.

Buy from good source, keep good water quality...and don't worry so much about pH unless you want to really breed them...

i've kept them for years in my tank with L.A. water that was in the high 7's in pH and they laid eggs all the time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
What's the Deal with them laying eggs all the time. And ten them just disapearing I thought it was my stocking (other fish) but I don't know. They laid like 3 times. Only ha the tank for 2 months. Check out my journal. I would love to understand more about there breeding habits

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started out with many various fishes.. And i never thought i would fall in love with these little ones... Like you... I totally admire them. The way they look at you with their big eyes and their swimming style, coupled with them "fighting" with each other... They are absolutly lovable!
I currently have them in 3tanks out of the total 5.
But the only problem is that i can't seem to get them to breed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
9 Posts
In all honesty I didnt get back into the aquarium world to breed. I enjoy just watching them swim and interact. Yes the "fighting" is just as entertaining. I figure if I can keep them happy and they live for 2 or more years (shooting for longer) I will be happy. If they happen to breed added bonus. Just hope that should I have any issues that I can come here and get the help I may need. Not a whole lot out on the net about these guys at least that I can find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think they are awesome. Love the blue color they have. They look really awsome when the sunlight hits them in the evening. I think my GBR and EBR may have paired up. They are starting to become a bit aggressive to rest of tank mates. But only if anyone gets to close to their side of the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This October will be 1 year with my GBR's. They are definitely the hardiest fish in my aquarium. I have not had them breed, but I believe that's because I have two males. They don't fight each other either so I am reluctant to introduce a female into the tank. I would love to start a Ram tank only eventually.

·
Wanabe BKK Herder
2,159 Posts
I've found them quite hardy and I had unexpectedly good luck with getting them to breed and raise their fry. The babies from that spawn are starting to lay eggs now, but to date the eggs have all been eaten (most likely because there were like 50 juvies crammed into a grow out tank). I’ve given away 38 of them now and am down to 4 nice pairs and maybe 8 dull-colored dwarfs (I’m curious to see if these bloom when the competition for food and space are gone or if they’re just basically culls).

My journal of their first few months is in my signature.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I actually found these guys to be very fragile but I strongly suspect it might have been the LFS I got them from. I had a petsmart GBR last for quite a long time while I couldn't get the others to last more than a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Mine were rather hardy too, until the juvenile male decided it was "time" and the female disagreed.

Apparently mine were imported from Europe. But that was based on the LFS owner telling me that he never imports from Asia, so I may have been duped into paying extra for fish from Asia anyways. Neat fish though, definitely will try them again sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.