The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just introduced 4 GBR on Friday. They all seem to be doing pretty good. I've been trying to sex them. Getting a clear picture of the 4 of them has been difficult to ask for opinions but I'll post what I have here anyway.

My other questions are as follows:

Will they eat my amano shrimp? The Rams are tiny right now (3/4" - 1.25"). I know shrimp are good at hiding but I don't see nearly as many as I did the last week. Also, my ammonia is at .25 right now but I think it has been because of wasted food.

They don't seem to eat much when I feed the tank. I've been feeding dried brine shrimp at night and flakes in the morning. Is there something differently I can be doing? Seems like a lot of competition... Especially with the 3 glow tetras and the 3 diamond tetras.

I read that rams like slower water... I installed a spray bar along the back wall and it creates a pretty hard current across the top, down the front, and then towards the back along the bottom. I have a fluval 407 (75 gal tank). Should I turn the flow down a bit? I know moving water is pretty important in planted tanks...

Thank you so much!!!

Water Plant Plant community Leaf Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Botany Leaf Natural landscape

Water Plant Rectangle Pet supply Aquatic plant

Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Leaf vegetable Groundcover

Plant Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant Grass Groundcover

·
Registered
32 Posts
Will they eat my amano shrimp?
Nope.

Is there something differently I can be doing?
mine tend to eat what drops at substrate. Keep in mind these are cichlides, they chew their food.

Should I turn the flow down a bit?
Nope they will be fine.

I've been trying to sex them
They are a bit young but it looks like you have 4 males female are usually more rounded.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are a bit young but it looks like you have 4 males female are usually more rounded.
Thank you for your reply and help. Everything makes sense that you said. Are they good with a diet of brine, shrimp and flakes? I figured when they get a little bit older and a little bit more dominant in the tank I could start feeding them live food as a treat once a week.

I thought the same thing about the shape of their bodies but One of them is bigger than the others and only one of them has a red belly. I'm sure it was hard to see in the pictures because I cannot get more than two of them to focus at a time and it's kind of rare that I see all four together at the same time. Usually one is hanging out somewhere by himself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are they good with a diet of brine, shrimp and flakes?
This is all fine just make sure to feed them at least once a day with the flakes/granules since these contains every minerals/vitamins and macro nutrients for the health of the fish. The rest brine shrimp/live food etc you use them as a threat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is all fine just make sure to feed them at least once a day with the flakes/granules since these contains every minerals/vitamins and macro nutrients for the health of the fish. The rest brine shrimp/live food etc you use them as a threat.
Will do. Thank you. Should the lights be on for feeding? I feed 2/3 X day but the light is on a time and its not on in the morning.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Will do. Thank you. Should the lights be on for feeding? I feed 2/3 X day but the light is on a time and its not on in the morning.
If the ambient light is strong enough so the fish can see something, its fine to feed there else jsut feed when the like is on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just introduced 4 GBR on Friday. They all seem to be doing pretty good. I've been trying to sex them. Getting a clear picture of the 4 of them has been difficult to ask for opinions but I'll post what I have here anyway.

My other questions are as follows:

Will they eat my amano shrimp? The Rams are tiny right now (3/4" - 1.25"). I know shrimp are good at hiding but I don't see nearly as many as I did the last week. Also, my ammonia is at .25 right now but I think it has been because of wasted food.

They don't seem to eat much when I feed the tank. I've been feeding dried brine shrimp at night and flakes in the morning. Is there something differently I can be doing? Seems like a lot of competition... Especially with the 3 glow tetras and the 3 diamond tetras.

I read that rams like slower water... I installed a spray bar along the back wall and it creates a pretty hard current across the top, down the front, and then towards the back along the bottom. I have a fluval 407 (75 gal tank). Should I turn the flow down a bit? I know moving water is pretty important in planted tanks...

Thank you so much!!!

View attachment 1035383
View attachment 1035385
View attachment 1035386
View attachment 1035384
View attachment 1035382
From my ram experience it looks like you have at least one female. Females have the pink bellies as well as colorful blue dots inside their black dot. Your bottom picture looks like two males and a female.
Be careful not having pairs (male/female) because the males will Duke it out for the female. Had a male kill another in a 30 gallon I thought I could have two pairs in. You will know when they are stressed by their color. When they go pale it is not a good sign.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From my ram experience it looks like you have at least one female. Females have the pink bellies as well as colorful blue dots inside their black dot. Your bottom picture looks like two males and a female.
Be careful not having pairs (male/female) because the males will Duke it out for the female. Had a male kill another in a 30 gallon I thought I could have two pairs in. You will know when they are stressed by their color. When they go pale it is not a good sign.
I told them I needed two of each. Being so young it was hard to tell. Also they were stressed when I got them from transport so Ive been watching their colors come back. Its been so hard to get them all in one clear picture, but I did notice one guy tends to be a loner and the other three stick together. Ive been watching their colors, but there isnt much to lose at this point so Its kind of hard to tell if they are stressed. Overall, Id say they seem fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The little bit of ammonia might be putting them off their food a little. Also, I’ve found Rams like the water a little warmer than other dwarf cichlids. 26 degrees and above is best for their colours and long term health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I keep it at 80 faren. They seem to have adapted well. I think that I have 2 males and 2 females. Still not 100% though.
White Water Window Organism Fin

·
Registered
581 Posts
80F is ok but they do prefer warmer waters so 82 is optimal; you definitely don't want to be any cooler than 80. These temps will be pushing it for the shrimp. The cardinals can handle warmer water easily but those other fishes I'm not so sure - i couldn't identify the orange fish (rasbora? tetra?) and the rainbow i'm not sure of the species.
-
is the aquarium a 55? You could use a few more solid barriers like large drift wood - i think a 55 can support two pairs but they will definitely mark territories and the males will defend.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
80F is ok but they do prefer warmer waters so 82 is optimal; you definitely don't want to be any cooler than 80. These temps will be pushing it for the shrimp. The cardinals can handle warmer water easily but those other fishes I'm not so sure - i couldn't identify the orange fish (rasbora? tetra?) and the rainbow i'm not sure of the species.
-
is the aquarium a 55? You could use a few more solid barriers like large drift wood - i think a 55 can support two pairs but they will definitely mark territories and the males will defend.
It's a 75. The orange fish are ember tetras, 3 glow tetras, 3 diamond tetras.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I keep it at 80 faren. They seem to have adapted well. I think that I have 2 males and 2 females. Still not 100% though. View attachment 1035538
Off topic, but kind of important: Your heater is leaking. Note the condensation bubbles on the inside. It's probably not long for this world, and may also cause an electrocution hazard (ask me how I know...).

·
Registered
581 Posts
It's a 75. The orange fish are ember tetras, 3 glow tetras, 3 diamond tetras.
german blue rams cannot live at 75 and ember cannot live 82 long term. If these are bolivan rams than 75 is fine. If german blue rams than some adjustment will have to be made; and i would suggest removing the german blue ram given your other fishes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Off topic, but kind of important: Your heater is leaking. Note the condensation bubbles on the inside. It's probably not long for this world, and may also cause an electrocution hazard (ask me how I know...).
Thanks for the headsup! Ill switch it out tonight! But now I have to know... How do you know? :)

german blue rams cannot live at 75 and ember cannot live 82 long term. If these are bolivan rams than 75 is fine. If german blue rams than some adjustment will have to be made; and i would suggest removing the german blue ram given your other fishes.
Where do you get 75 or 82? Im keeping my tank at 80...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the headsup! Ill switch it out tonight! But now I have to know... How do you know? :)
Had a 300W heater in a 120gal trough go bad. The fish were acting erratic and I noticed the submersible pump was noisy. I received quite the tingle when I reached in to grab the pump. Thankfully the shock wasn't huge as the ground fault outlet didn't pop. Now when I see skittish fish behavior I will unplug everything first, lol.

Just to get it back on topic: My rams being rudely interrupted by the angel
VID_20211030_143958088~2

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had a 300W heater in a 120gal trough go bad. The fish were acting erratic and I noticed the submersible pump was noisy. I received quite the tingle when I reached in to grab the pump. Thankfully the shock wasn't huge as the ground fault outlet didn't pop. Now when I see skittish fish behavior I will unplug everything first, lol.
Thats a nice tip to pay attention too. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts