The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a breeding pair of German blue rams, after about 3 spawns the male started to chase the female around the tank alot, I separated the two in the same tank for a couple of days when I try to reintroduce them they fight any suggestions???

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Would leave the female with the babies and move the male out.
What's that you say? although they have spawned three times,there are no successful hatches?
This could be indication that the water chemistry does not suit the successful hatching of fry and the female recognizes this, and refuses to spawn again or..the male is sterile and female has come to understand that the effort is futile.
The other possibility is that despite what has been posted, the two fish are not a mated pair, but a hopeful pair, and one or the other is refusing to mate due to various reason's,(ie) One or the other is too young.or too old.
Tried my hand at these fish for three or four year's and parent's are normally devoted to the cause assuming water chemistry suit's the effort and they are indeed a mated pair.
I might be tempted to introduce a couple new females so as to bring some relief to the female being harassed.
If there were no successful hatches,then I would suspect the issue to be with the male possibly being sterile, or water is too hard for male to fertilize the egg's due to tougher membrane surrounding the egg's due to water's hardness.
Might also be tank is too small for female to get some rest after strenuous spawning, and males attention's are difficult for her to get relief from, and or other fishes/shrimp/snail's are eating the egg's which does not alter the males instinct's,but does cause the female to realize the futility of it all (stress).
Have seen these fish abort egg's in bag on the way home from store when water is not suited for the successful hatch of fry.
Just sayin.

·
Ram Breeder
76 Posts
Rams are notoriously poor parents. When we breed our rams, we keep them in small (5.5 gallon) tanks with a piece of driftwood and a plastic plant. Once they spawn, the male will do most of the defending of the eggs, and he will sometimes chase and harass the female mercilessly, sometimes to the point of killing her. Usually removing the eggs right after spawning will prevent any hostility. If you choose to try to hatch and raise the fry yourself, maybe this will help: http://somefinsfishy.com/fish-tips/breeding-rams/hatching-raising-the-fry.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.