The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have seen the pot bellied 'balloon gbrs' at win tropical several times, but no blue rams of any kind anywhere else- and I was looking for a while. I saw some very nice ones at Absolutely Fish in NJ. I got some otos from Pacific that have been great.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've seen normal rams at Brooklyn Zoo & Aquarium and at Animal Pantry. The latter had gold ones before too. Not sure about now. Be careful about the ones at Bklyn Z&A. When I saw them, the tank had Ich. but I haven't checked them lately. They have/had balloons at Win and Pacific.

A few weeks ago, I had called a couple of places about Oto.:
Petco (Union Square) - $2.99
Pacific Aquarium - $2.50 (3/$5)
Animal Pantry - $1.69
Bklyn Zoo & Aquarium - $1.49​

The list only has the few stores that were convenient for me but it should give you a fair idea of prices. (I should check out Queens eventually.)

(I have Otocinclus from both Pacific and InvertzFactory.)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I ordered fish online a few times with less than desirable results that's why I want to purchase locally. Can you give me the address for Animal Pantry and Bklyn Zoo & Aquarium? I have no idea where they are located.

After my purchases I'll post pics :biggrin:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Animal Pantry
137 20 Crossbay Blvd (couple of blocks north from exit 17 on Belt Parkway)
Ozone Park, NY 11416
718 845-8400

Brooklyn Zoo & Aquarium
2377 Ralph Ave (between Ave. M and N)
Brooklyn, NY 11234
718 251-7389

Give them a call before you go just in case.

Thanks Nymsley

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Where are you in NY?
The best price on GBRs would be at Fishtown $6, call them to see if they have them.
If they are small with high color, I would pass!
Not easy to find good GBRs.
They had nice ones on 38th st NYC, but at $12 each.
Animal Pantry has them sometimes, but call they didn't get them for a while, and they usually get high fin, not standard.
Nothern Aquirium had them at like $11, they looked good.

Pacific mostly has the balloons.

I have seen Otos at Petland, but I think of Petland as Petco, don't know much about fish quality.

I had good luck with getting Otos and Rams from Coral on Roosevelt Ave. in Elmhurst.

The list of stores/locations is in one of the posts here if you look.

Make sure the Otos you get are nice and fat and keep feeding them with greens.

Re: GBRs if you watch the tank for 10 min you can usually figure out which rams are male, if they are small and no color. they are the ones that are more aggressive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.