The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have 2 German blue rams with 2 dwarf honey gouramis, 2 upside down catfish, 2 Plecos{blue eye BN and Rubber} and 1 blue Acara in a 55. 2 days ago I noticed his eyes started swelling up, now he has them a little cloudy and swelled. I believe what caused this was because maybe a week ago I was attempting to hand feed them with sinking shrimp sticks by Wardley. And i don’t know if all rams are like very social but mine come up to my my finger even though I’ve had them for only about 1 month. But when I was feeding him he accidentally scraped his forehead against the pellets and I noticed he had a little scratch between his eyes . He seems to be doing fine right now he still follows my finger and he don’t get bullied by the others. But his eyes are swollen and a little cloudy and this is the only tank I have. Can anyone please help me get rid of the swollen eyes?!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
That's going to make it a little more difficult. I believe, I'm not 100% on this, that popeye is gram negative and using maracyn as a treatment can work. You're going to want to keep your tank water impeccably clean and stable during this time which will be difficult with your stocklist. You may just want to splurge (if it's at all possible) on a qt tank and sponge filter set up. You're keeping a lot of rowdy inhabitants and injuries and infections are bound to happen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's going to make it a little more difficult. I believe, I'm not 100% on this, that popeye is gram negative and using maracyn as a treatment can work. You're going to want to keep your tank water impeccably clean and stable during this time which will be difficult with your stocklist. You may just want to splurge (if it's at all possible) on a qt tank and sponge filter set up. You're keeping a lot of rowdy inhabitants and injuries and infections are bound to happen.
How are you able to know that it’s Gram negative? Or what does that mean if you don’t mind me asking?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It's a bacterial infection. I've dealt with it in a few of my betta and cichlids in the past. I haven't treated for infections or diseases in a long time, knock on wood, as the only illness I've come across recently is untreatable. I'd be looking up community treatments for popeye. I've only treated a couple times in community settings- I was quick to invest in a 20 gallon hospital tank as treating with some things can completely mess up your bb. Maracyn should be fine. You could try salt dips, it might work, but it could be very stressful for gbr.

·
Banned
628 Posts
How are you able to know that it’s Gram negative? Or what does that mean if you don’t mind me asking?
Some antibiotics are for gram negative bacteria and some are for gram positive. You can tell if bacteria are gram negative by staining them. The stain I think reveals if it's gram negative or positive. Then it gets viewed under a microscope but we're not going to do that. Google cloudy eye fish disease to find out what it is. Then buy the right antibiotic. It will probably say cloudy eye on the box. Then set up a plastic tub, 5 gallon bucket or 10 gallon aquarium and start running the treatment.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
99.5% of secondary bacterial infections are gram negative in the freshwater aquarium. The most common bacterial pathogen in the aquarium is aeromonas bacteria, which is gram negative. Aeromonas bacteria can cause dropsy, abdominal swellings, skin ulcers, red patches, fin and tail rot and pop-eye. This is most likely what you are dealing with here.
You want to find an antibiotic that primarily treats gram negative bacteria-- like Kanamycin or the Furans.
Antibiotics like erythromycin are primarily for use for bacterial infections that are gram positive ( rare situations). There ability to help in most situations in the aquarium is minimal due to most bacterial infections being gram negative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.