The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after doing some research and watching 10000 Youtube videos I've decided to go with a pair of German Blue Rams or Electric Blue Rams instead of getting a Betta. So the stocking plan for my 29 gallon is now 10 Harlequin Rasboras, 10 Neon Tetras, 5 Nerite snails, 20 Red Cherry Shrimp (understanding we may have some casualties), and then the two rams. Does this sound pretty doable? My LFS has the Electric Blue Rams but I kind of like the coloration on the GBRs more so I may have to get those online. Can anyone recommend a good fish buying site? Also I know my tap water is pretty hard from past PPM tests I've done which I believe came out as 250ppm and the PH has been right around 8. Is this level of hardness completely out of the question for these fish? I've read that I could use peat moss if I don't mind yellowing water or chemicals but other than that would I just need to add distilled water to even it out to the right level?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
the hard water and high ph could be an issue; but many people have success despite what a certain species' ideal parameters might be. When you're talking tank born and raised fish they seem better able to acclimate to a "non ideal" situation. When it comes to Rams the #1 name that always pops up as a reputable breeder/seller is Yunite who sells on aquabid under that name and also his/their own site at [YUNITE] SDRAMS | Your No.1 Source of Quality German Blue Rams I had great dealings with them recently and am quite pleased with their fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try and keep conditions as close to ideal as possible for them. These guys will be the last addition to my tank so I'll have time to get everything right. Would you recommend just going with a pair with a 29 gallon or get a third?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Odds are that if your lfs has electric blues they will have the regular blue rams in stock eventually. Your shrimp will all become snacks for the rams though so if you don't want to lose them I would consider separate tanks. If you want them to breed a flat rock is best but they can use the substrate in a pinch. For lowering ph I personally use fluval peat granuals. I put some in the water that is going to go into the tank, (not the tank itself as it could lower it too fast in the tank) and it works really well and I don't get any discoloration. As long as you get from a good source and not the overbred stuff you find at the chain stores they are a lot hardier than their reputation.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rams prefer temps in the low 80's, cardinal or green neon tetras may be a better option. I'd also stock on the light side with rams. They're not forgiving in less than ideal parameters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts