The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting planted tankers! I have a quick question: I have recently noticed my Rams eating my wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) in my 38 gallon planted tank. Is this a common thing for these fish to do? I have tried to research this behavior, but did not find any info on it. I want to know if this is normal, or if my Rams might be lacking something that they get from the plants. I have also seen them nibbling a bit on my Anacharis, but not like they do on the wisteria. If someone can help explain this I would be most grateful. Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
there may be hydra or something on there that they are eating.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My rams very rarely nibble on plants. It may be because they don't have enough vegetables in their diet. Try feeding veggie wafers or boiling cucumber slices like I do.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Interesting that everyone has said that they dont see rams doing this. I work at a pet shop where we always have at least 2-3 different types of rams at once. All of them spend time biting on the plants in their tanks. They ARE cichlids. I dont just see this with rams, though. I see the majority of the fish I have picking off small parts of plants occassionally or just searching for food.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Imo bolivian rams are the worst dwarf cichlid when it cones to play eating. I had 22 in a huge planted tank and thet devoured blyxa and other fragile plants very quickly.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My rams very rarely nibble on plants. It may be because they don't have enough vegetables in their diet. Try feeding veggie wafers or boiling cucumber slices like I do.
I do put algae wafers in the tank 3x per week, but I have not tried veggies yet. Good suggestion.

Interesting that everyone has said that they dont see rams doing this. I work at a pet shop where we always have at least 2-3 different types of rams at once. All of them spend time biting on the plants in their tanks. They ARE cichlids. I dont just see this with rams, though. I see the majority of the fish I have picking off small parts of plants occassionally or just searching for food.
I thought that it was interesting that they only eat the leaves off of the smaller (mouth-sized for them) plants; they never try my Kompakt, swords, Anubias, or Java Ferns.

there may be hydra or something on there that they are eating.
This does make some sense, but I have one question- do Rams have good enough eyesight to see these tiny organisms? Or do they just somehow instinctively know where to find this sort of thing?

Thanks for your replies. If anyone else has an idea of what this behavior is about please post here. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts