The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking for help regarding my German Blue Ram. I have a pair in a 20gl long planted tank with two peppered corydoras. My female GBR appears to have internal parasites. for a few days she has had long white stringy waste and she refuses to eat. I have been treating per dosing instructions with API General Cure. I did the second dose last night and have set up a separate bucket of water being prepped for the 25% water change tomorrow per the dosing instructions.

I'm at a loss as she just doesn't seem to be improving. She is swimming around a little more, but will still freeze and maintain one area for a while. Every now and then she will also start to flick. I have tried all kinds of foods, even one including garlic, in an attempt to get her to eat something, but she won't take anything. Her boyfriend, however, will eat anything.

I have not tested water parameters in a few days as I wasn't sure if the medication would alter that, but before I started medications, the tank had just cleared from a bacteria bloom, had very low ammonia and zero nitrites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan

·
Registered
12 Posts
How long has your tank been set up, and how long have you had the fish? Could you check the temperature and water parameters just to rule those out? It helps to check parameters often when treating fish, dead parasites can spike ammonia, and unexpected changes in the city water can cause additional problems.

Does she seem to be breathing heavy?

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Hi All,

I'm looking for help regarding my German Blue Ram. I have a pair in a 20gl long planted tank with two peppered corydoras. My female GBR appears to have internal parasites. for a few days she has had long white stringy waste and she refuses to eat. I have been treating per dosing instructions with API General Cure. I did the second dose last night and have set up a separate bucket of water being prepped for the 25% water change tomorrow per the dosing instructions.

I'm at a loss as she just doesn't seem to be improving. She is swimming around a little more, but will still freeze and maintain one area for a while. Every now and then she will also start to flick. I have tried all kinds of foods, even one including garlic, in an attempt to get her to eat something, but she won't take anything. Her boyfriend, however, will eat anything.

I have not tested water parameters in a few days as I wasn't sure if the medication would alter that, but before I started medications, the tank had just cleared from a bacteria bloom, had very low ammonia and zero nitrites.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

Here are the three (3) medications I like to have on hand. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/quarantine-meds-trio The likely causes are either an internal parasite (hexamita) or a bacterial infection. -Roy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She doesn’t appear to be breathing heavy.

I just tested parameters:

Temp: always set to 82 degrees
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: .5 ppm
Nitrite: .25 ppm
Nitrate: Closer to 0 but not exactly 0

Tank is 3 months old. Did a cycle before adding fish. Male ram has been in for a month and the female has been in for just over 2 weeks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Your cycle seems to have been disrupted. Ammonia and Nitrite should always be zero and those are converted into nitrate in a cycled tank. So when you're showing less nitrate than ammonia and nitrite I might be concerned that something happened to the cycle of your tank.

Have you perhaps cleaned your filter media with chlorinated tap water recently?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.